Using a Sys. restoration CD and linux

Guest Joe Noob

Guest Joe Noob

Ive heard that system resoration CDs only like to use the entire disk for installs. My XP came on a three cd set with other apps and theres no seperating them,for instance I cant install XP only, the restoration utility takes hold from the start it just prompts me when its time to change cds no other options.

I was told that the only thing I could do is but a new copy of XP, has anyone gotten around this.

My objective here is to put XP on a fat32 so I can get to it with Drake.

And the thought of not installing some of the other garbage that comes on those cds doent sound to bad either

You can install Mandrake in this situation. Begin by reading this: http://www.mandrakeusers.org/docs/top.php&...gt;Partitioning and the references as well. Do not use FIPS recommended in the article.

After doing that, you should do the following:

1) Run Scandisk and Defrag or if you have it Norton Disk Doctor and Norton SpeedDisk. The idea here is to create as much free space as possible at the end of XP. Norton is preferable because it moves files marked by Windows as System fikes which defrag does not.

2) Using Partiton Magic or the free Ranish Partition Manager available here: http://www.ranish.com to create an extended partition. If you are forced to format it, use fat32, not NTFS.

3) Install Mandrake in that extended partition using expert mode to give you control over the partitioning. Follow the advice from the docs for the partitions you shoud create and their sizes within the Mandrake Installer.

4) Mandrake will rewrite the boot sector including XP along with the MAndrake options.

5) If you have trouble, you will need to start over with a reinstall of XP given your setup with install disks

If you can afford it and the machine is out of warranty, the best solution is to install a second hard drive and put Mandrake there.

Counterspy

Guest Joe Noob

Thanks I'll be trying it this weekend. I picked up Partition Magic ans resized XP about four days ago and nothing has taken a dump yet so I think I'm all good on that its still a NT file sys. but I think I'll leave it that way for now and concentrate on drake. I'm still reading articals on the subject and it seems Mandrake has some pcmcia issues that make the system hang at start up.

But we'll see.

Guest Joe Noob

Thanx for all the help and suggestions , 9.0 is up and operational. I still have to get the firewall going. And hopefully a stop by linmodems will take care of my winmodem problems then I'll be the proud operative of THEEE latest kernel,mozilla,Gnome and KDE yah baby!