editing display manager KDM/mdkkdm

richie

Hi

I downloaded bealge through urpmi on 10.1 Official and now can't start X. It downloaded a stack of depandent packages and I think something broke.

Now my system just locks up when starting X. I can't even SysRq + S + U + B, proper reset required. It seems to happen very fast, nothing in the logs. I think it may be due to the KDM manager, but I am not sure where the config file to change KDM for mdkkdm or vice versa is stored and I can't use Drake to change as it needs X.

Anyone know where the display manager config file is?

Many thanks

Rich

Hi

Thanks. I've already tried a similiar thing, I went straight from lilo to runlevel 3, linux 3, then startx. I'm kind of grabbing at straws with the display manager. I had a similiar fault about 10 months ago, and replacing mdkkdm with kdm fixed in, or it did something invertedly that fixed whatever was wrong. A real puzzle, I have checked all the logs and can not find out why starting X locks up. I'm using nvidia drivers, I swiched to nv same thing. It locks up so fast that no tell tales signs are written to the logs.

I have since done updates and X was updated, but no change, X still won't start and the machine crashes.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Rich

For your information, the file you want is /etc/sysconfig/desktop

In this file, there can be:

DESKTOP=gnome

DISPLAYMANAGER=kdm

for example. Change kdm with gdm if you want, then:

service dm stop

service dm start

Yves.