Newbie Needs Help Configuring IWP2200 for Mandriva

Guest BillATL

Guest BillATL

Hi all,

I'm a newbie convert to linux and I've installed Mandriva LE 2005 on my Gateway M320 laptop. The laptop has a built in Intel Pro Wireless 2200 B/G card. When i look in the Configuration Console in Mandriva it shows there, but if I do iwconfig it says "no wireless". When I try to set up a new network interface I get to "Manually Install Driver" and then choose IPW2200, but when I do "autoprobe" it just brings me back to "Manually Install Driver". I've tried to install the drivers and fimware using the steps at sourceforge and this site:

http://learn.clemsonlinux.org/wiki/Mandrake:IPW2200

but something seems to be missing....I've been going around and around for days with this and at this point whatever I've done is all a jumble in my head...I am a newbie and have a very limited knowledge of konsole commands....any help would be greatly appreciated...

Bill

Guest BillATL

In case anyone has had the same problem, I was able to get it fixed with help from Intel tech support....the only tweaking i made was for "make" and "make install" directing these commands to the folders where the "make" file was located....hope this helps....

Thank you for contacting Intel® Technical Support.

Please note that you will need a Linux* kernel 2.6.4 or higher, wireless-tools version v27-pre23, wireless-extension v16, Intel® PRO/Wireless Driver and firmware downloaded, Linux kernel source, arc4 and crc32 Crypto Libraries in the kernel, and CONFIG_NET_RADIO=y.

Please refer to the INSTALL in the root directory of the driver. Else go to the location of your ipw2200-version.tgz and type "tar xvzf ipw2200-version.tgz", that will extract and create a folder for the drivers called ipw2200-version. Go into the ipw2200-version folder and read the INSTALL. (Tip: From here on, you should only need to do make && make install).

Please follow the steps below:

- Type "make" and if no errors come up, type "make install"

- It will now warn you that you need to copy the Firmware into /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware

- Copy the firmware download to /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware and untar it with

"tar xvfz ipw2200-fw-version.tgz"

- Note that the firmware should be extracted by then.

- If you want to use WEP, type "modprobe arc4 crc32" in case Step 4.5 indicates you loaded the support ad modules.

- Now, load the adapter with "modprobe ipw2200"

- Typing "lsmod | grep ipw2200" Should list your module loaded. Do the same thing with ARC4 and CRC32 to make sure everything is loaded.

Verify "dmesg" and acknowledge the name that has been given to your NIC card.

• 2 months later...
Please note that you will need a Linux* kernel 2.6.4 or higher, wireless-tools version v27-pre23, wireless-extension v16, Intel® PRO/Wireless Driver and firmware downloaded, Linux kernel source, arc4 and crc32 Crypto Libraries in the kernel, and CONFIG_NET_RADIO=y.

Verify "dmesg" and acknowledge the name that has been given to your NIC card.

Hi BillATL,

I’m considering installing Mandy 2005LE on my HP dv4000 (dv4121ap). It has the same Intel wireless card. I’ve not used Mandrake/iva :) for ages and was wondering if I could ask a couple of questions about your solution?

Are

wireless-tools version v27-pre23,

And

wireless-extension v16,

already installed in Mandy or do they need to be downloaded/installed separately?

I’m assuming I have to download the firmware separately :)

The other bits I’m not sure about are:

arc4 and crc32 Crypto Libraries in the kernel – are they installed already?

CONFIG_NET_RADIO=y. – what does this mean? Where is it?

Verify "dmesg" and acknowledge the name that has been given to your NIC card

I’m afraid I’m not clear about this either - where/how does one acknowledge the name?

I apologise for the fact that I haven’t yet tried this. It’s a ‘working laptop’ (for Uni, for wife :)) and I’m just trying to minimise the downtime (she’s happy to have Linux on it, as long as it don’t have it away from her for long :))

Any assistance would be most appreciated and kindly regarded.