Mandrake can't find my CDRom Drive [solved]

Guest wdbb11

Guest wdbb11

I have been trying to install Mandrake 10.0 Official and it will not boot. Cannot find the CDRom drive, although it is set in the bios. Says something about "trying to wing it" and then says it can't find the CDRom.

Tried booting up with a Win98 boot disk and that works to get me to the DOS prompt. Is there a command line option at this point to start the install? :wall: I would appreciate any help. Looking forward to trying out Linux for the first time.

Edited by wdbb11

One of the members here has suggested this as a workaround with CD1 not booting on version 10.0.

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtop...ndpost&p=132708

Can't vouch for it working - never had to try it.

Check out the whole thread also, because others possiblities exist, like a bad CD burn, etc., that are talked about in the whole thread.

If you are sure that you have a good CD burn, then you can try what was suggested above (booting from CD2), or alternatively, using a Smart Boot Manager bootCD to do the trick:

http://btmgr.webframe.org/

Insert the SBM CD to your drive, reboot the machine, and when the boot selection appears move it down to CD-ROM (don't hit enter yet). Unload the SBM CD, put in the Mandrake CD, let it spin for some 10 - 15 seconds and then hit enter.

One of the above methods (or both) should work.