GTK+, GLIB and XMMS vs. me and my sanity

Guest greyskyzen

Guest greyskyzen

So I just recently installed Mandriva linux (2005.0 Limited Edition) and I'm quite pleased with the change from Windows. Of course it's different but that's okay, I wanted a good change in my computer, not to mention I'm in love with the ideas of the Open Source movement.

However, my main use for my computer is my mp3s. I love my music. So let me get straight to the point.

I've heard that XMMS is the best audio player for Linux, and I definitely wanted to check that out since I mostly used WinAmp with Windows, and AmaroK blew. So I get an XMMS .rpm, try to install it, it says it doesn't like my GTK+ 2.x. So I update GTK+ with RPMDrake, and it still isn't satisfied. So after about an hour and a half of frustration I discover that the old GTK+ version (the one required for XMMS, 1.x) runs alongside the new one without problems. Well, that would make things peachy, wouldn't it? So, I go track down a .rpm for GTK+ 1.2.9, and it doesn't like the GLIB that I have. okay, fine, whatever. I hunt down an old version of GLIB, and it still hates it.

>.<

This all took place over the course of three hours so, as you could imagine, I've quite the headache and am seriously considering just going back to Windows if I can't get this straight. So if anyone could help me out, walk me through this or at least point me in the direction of some .rpm's that I would need, I would be greatly appreciative.

Oh, and for the record, I've tried compiling them from .tar.gz and such, but that just pissed it off even more. (Is there a preferred location to unzip and configure such programs, or rather any program at all?)

I also tried looking up Beep Media Player but couldn't even find a .rpm for it. I tried to use the .tar.gz file but naturally, it couldn't find GTK+.

I'm glad I have Linux to remind me that I'm not nearly as good with computers as I had previously believed. Heh. If I've left out any necessary information, just let me know what it is and I'll supply it... thanks.

-adam

P.S. on a side note, a lot of the sites hosting .rpm's that I run across don't list them specifically for Mandriva/Mandrake, but rather only for Redhat 7.x-9.x and Fedora cores 1-4. Which of these is most compatible with Mandriva since more often than not nothing is offered for it?

Edited by greyskyzen

Taking for granted thqt you use Mandriva and you are new to Linux, the only indicated way to install software is using urpmi and it's repositories, and not grabbing and mixing random RPM's. Setup can be done the usual, easy way:

easyurpmi.zarb.org

Once you are set, urpmi has a user-friendly (?) GUI within Mandrake Control Center (mcc as root).

xmms problems are mainly due to the ancient toolkit it uses, but beep-media-player is almost the same application and using GTK2, far prettier and friendlier.

Finally Amarok is simply great, provided that you do NOT use Arts as its engine, but rather xine or gstreamer.

Kaffeine (for KDE users) and Totem (for Gnome users) are also very good xine frontends (they play all sorts of videos as well, if the necessary codecs are installed).

Adam, if you haven't already found this gem, I'd also recommend that you check out streamtuner (and streamripper). They're both in the LE2005 urpmi sources.

Here's a couple reviews:

http://www.unixreview.com/documents/s=9823...7j/ur0507j.html

http://www.linux-magazine.com/issue/43/Streamtuner.pdf

and the streamtuner site:

http://www.nongnu.org/streamtuner/

When it comes to installing software, I am 100% in agreement with scarecrow.

When you are new to Linux you should NOT be trying to install tar software until you know exactly what you are doing. Properly setting up urpmi by using easy-urpmi is the best possible way of installing rpms and having their dependencys taken care automatically. When you setup with easy-urpmi, you will find the sites that have Mandrake/Mandriva rpms that are specifically compiled for Mandriva. Many, but not all, of the rpm sites are irrelevant to Mandriva. Skilled programmers can adapt these other rpms to Mandriva if there is no existing one for Mandriva but that is rarely necessary.

If you know a lot about Windows then forget that knowledge because basically none of it applies to Linux or Mandriva. Mandriva may have a similar outward appearance to Windows but that is where the similarity ends.

Welcome to our MUB world.

Cheers and good luck. John.

Guest greyskyzen

Hey guys, I thought I'd posted a thank you note, but I guess it erased it. So thanks for your help. I'm really glad for this help community, I think this will really make the difference between Windows and Linux for me.

In your honor, here's a dancing banana. :banana:

Thanks again!