Quick grub questions...

Aomighty

First of all, mods, if you think this should be in another section, move away, I wasn't sure where to put it :).

Anyway, recently I switched to Debian, and though I like Mandrake quite a bit, I need the hard drive space it's using. So, I was going to delete the partition. First of all, here's what the df command reveals:

/dev/sda6 15741824 5995612 8946676 41% /

tmpfs 257508 0 257508 0% /dev/shm

/dev/sda5 15330240 8961268 5901724 61% /mnt/mandrake

/dev/sda1 46082420 16707836 29374584 37% /mnt/windows

sda6 is the debian partition, wheras /dev/shm is swap. When I tried to delete sda5, it renumbered sda6 to sda5 and sda7 to sda6. Now, this presents a problem because now Debian will be unbootable, as it'll be looking for sda6 still and try to boot from the swap! So, if I just delet sda5 and sda7 and remake the swap between windows and Debian, thus keeping Debian at sda6, it should boot okay, right? Logically, I think yes, but before I do it, I wanted to check with all of you.

Second, how do you make a copy of grub on a boot floppy? I haven't been able to find it on Google very readily.

Thanks all. I just don't want to kill my installation :).

Here are two links on how to create the grub bootloader floppy:

http://www.mepislovers-wiki.org/index.php?...oot_floppy_disk

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/4622

If you had the boot floppy to begin with, all you'd have to do to boot would be to edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst file on the floppy to reference the sda5 partition rather than sda6.

I would think your scheme would work. If it doesn't, you could always use a LiveCD to boot, mount /dev/sda5 as /mnt/sda5, use chroot to make /mnt/sda5 your new /, then cd to /boot/grub, and edit the menu.lst file, and then create the boot floppy using the procedures above.

For reference, here's a section from my menu.lst:

title MEPIS at sdb8, kernel 2.6.10

kernel (hd1,7)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10 root=/dev/sdb8 nomce quiet splash=verbose vga=791

initrd (hd1,7)/boot/initrd.splash

Note that for sda5, the (hd1,7) references above would become (hd0,4).

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot about /etc/fstab. That would need to be updated as well.

Edited by jboy