Autostart RfbDrake from KDE?

MandrakeNewbie

I've been struggling :wall: for about a week now trying to remote control my Mandrake 10.2 Linux server. I managed to run across topics that mentioned creating links in the kde/Autostart but didn't thoroughly understand quite how to do that. They were describing it from Konqueror where as I use Nautilus (instructions didn't seem to fit)

What I have done, and it appears to work somewhat, is - I've taken the Program menu item and copied it to the .KDE/AutoStart. It does fire up the configuration window to start RfbDrake where you configure it to allow control of my machine. Does anyone know if I can pass on startup parameters to tell it to run as a server and give it a password? Right now the Virtual Network Connection properties - Launcher tab, shows a Command of /usr/x11R6/bin/rfbdrake.

Thanks to all that have helped me so far.......otherwise I would of given up a long time ago.

Since you have Nautilus, it means you are using Gnome desktop. If the instructions were referring to Konqueror then the user would have been using KDE desktop.

If you want to follow the instructions more closely perhaps it might be worth your while to move to using the KDE desktop and use Konqueror then there can be no confusion about the original instructions.

Cheers. John.

I have vncserver running on my server, which does not run a graphical desktop (no monitor, so why bother)

Cannot remember how I set it up :)

urpmi tightvnc-server

There is a file /etc/rc.d/init.d/vncserver and also /etc/sysconfig/vncservers, which contains the following line:

VNCSERVERS="1:chris"

chris is my username, 1 is the screen number.

It is run at boot from a symlink in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d

May have a closer look if I have time as I could do with documenting it in case of disaster...

Chris

Edit: Ok - curiosity got the better of me - I just set it up on my test machine... took all of 5 minutes.

1) Install tightvnc-server with urpmi tightvnc-server

2) Edit /etc/sysconfig/vncservers as above ( VNCSERVERS="1:chris" )

3) As the named user, type vncpasswd and follow the prompts

4) Edit symlinks in/etc/rc.d/rcx.d (it added K35vncserver on mine - change to S99vncserver or some other high number that loads after networking, firewall etc..)

5) Reboot or start the service with ' service vncserver start '

That's it - worked for me! Log on from a remote machine by using <ip address>:1 as the hostname.

Edited by streeter