Audio & Video Help

Guest Dengus

Guest Dengus

Hi guys, I'm having a couple of problems and I've searched around and read some HOWTO's and other discussions, but they seem to be going way over my head. If anyone can explain things to me at a little higher than "Moron" level that would be great.

First off, I just installed Mandriva 2005LE off the DVD that was on the cover of the Linux Format Magazine (if that helps) and am uising KDE.

1) I can't get my iPod working properly with amaroK. In the mnt directory, my iPod is in there under the name of my ipod eg DENGUS_IPOD and I can access it like I would a normal HD, but I Amarok can't recognise the ipod so I can play all my tracks off that rather than having to load them all on the HD (Just like in iTunes). I would also like to have AAC playback in amaroK.

2) I tried to install GNUPOD and GTK pod because I couldn't get amaroK working and when I type in ./configure, GTK-Pod says I need the GTK+2.0 libs and other GLibs or something like that, however I thought I installed them all when I installed the packages from the Mandrake contol centre. GNU pod does the same although it is looking for the XML and Perl library, again I thought I installed them in the MCC.

3) Can't play a DVD in Xine, do I have to install any extra plugins that came with the OS DVD, if so how do I do that?

4) My screen is a Sony E320 CRT monitor and linux only has support for screen res of 1024x768 whilst windows on has support for way more. How can I get linux to add more screen resolutions. Bearing in mind I read the Howto and got confused.

If anyone can help with this it would be a massive help.

Thanks heaps.

2) This is probably because you don't have the "devel" packages installed. These developer packages are needed to build software using the ./configure; make; make install method. You should be able to find them in the MCC software installer - gtk-devel might be the name of the gtk package.

3) You do need some extra plugins unfortunately, but not ones that came with the dvd. It's illegal to decrypt dvds to view them on linux, so you need to get the files from elsewhere. The package is libdvdcss, I believe. There should be more help on this board if you search for playing dvds, you can get the software from http://www.mandrivausers.org/easyurpmi/index.php which should also have documentation here on the board.