Wrong kernel sources and URPMI packages outdated?

Guest ChillyWillie

Guest ChillyWillie

The kernel-source package that comes with the 10.1 Official CDs is 2.4.27, but the kernel version installed is 2.6.8! Why don't the kernel source and actual kernel installed match versions?

Also, I've added the Rutgers University FTP server to my urpmi repository so I could get the most up-to-date software. Why don't the urpmi repositories seem to have the latest stable builds for most software packages? ndiswrapper and python are two specific examples that I've come across.

Anyone have insight to these questions I've been pondering over?

Thanks,

Jay

I do not think you looked carefully enough. The kernel-source2.6.*** IS on your cds set of Mandrake10.1-OE and matches the kernel2.6.***. In fact I do not remember ever seeing a kernel-source for thr kernel2.4.***.

I think your urpmi source is what is not up to date perhaps. Most mirror sources are up to date, certainly the ones I use are. None of which is under the control of Mandriva.

As your name implys, you need to chill, willie. Welcome to MUB.

John.

Edited by AussieJohn

I think the versions are not always up to date because of dependent libraries many times until you'd have to upgrade the distro to have the newest version. I learned that trying to recompile a newer version of GIMP from source lol :).

Guest ChillyWillie

John,

When searching on the CD set for 'kernel-source' using Mandrake's Control Center, the only software package that comes up is the 2.4.27 version. This is the same kernel version that is linked to by the /usr/src/linux symbolic link. I'm positive the 10.1 Official CD set does not have the correct source code for the kernel.

Sorry Chilly-willie but you are wrong. I have just checked my set of Mandriva10.1-OE cdroms and the 2.6.*** kernel-source is on disc 3 and matches the 2.6.*** kernel EXACTLY.

I am sure that the cdroms you have will not be any different otherwise they would NOT be Mandriva10.1-OE. I presume you are not using MCC correctly. Check for yourself by putting the cdroms in your computer, in turn, and looking at what packages are on the discs and you will see what I mean.

The name of the kernel source is prefaced with 2.6, so instead of 2.11-6mdk, it would be 2.6-2.6.11-6mdk, that may be your problem in searching for it, as it eluded me for quite a while.