Install (ee) Error [solved]

Dingles

Whenever I try to install linux, I have noticed two error messages which keep showing. They are:

FBDEV(0): FBIOPAN_DISPLAY: Invalid Arguement

FBDEV(0): FBIOBLANK: Invalid Arguement

After I install, it seems to be fine, and then when I try to boot up linux, it freezes. Could these errors be the problem? And how can i get linux to load for a change!

Edited by Dingles

i guess there is a problem with your framebuffer / bad refresh-rates being set up for your monitor and graphics card. you should try the following first:

try to boot your system in the linux no-fb mode and check if your system boots up. if not, you need to know a bit about hacking from the command line. i don't know how much you do know about it, but will tell you a little bit of what you can do from the command line.

boot into your system as root in failsafe mode (boot into init3 at the first prompt). if you are at the command line (dos-like environment), run XFdrake and try to set up your monitor resolution and graphic card again or hack the /etc/X11/xorg.config file with an editor like emacs. if that still fails, you should to get every information on the hardware specs of your monitor and graphic card. which refresh rates do they support at which resolution? then try to run xorgconfig and enter all data that is needed manually.

beware! false entries might destroy your hardware if you are unlucky.

if that doesn't work, please give us more information on your hardware and more information on error messages you received

good luck

first of all: don't get frustrated yet. it might be a rough road to get your system running, but you will learn some stuff along the way.

before we start, we need to know how much experience you already have with linux systems. if you are very new to linux, we need to explain a bit more than to a linux regular. so tell us exactly what you do not understand and when you need more explanation in order to understand what we are going to do.

can you specify the gdk warning? there are dozens of possibilities why a gdk warning might appear. most times, it is due to missing fonts or bad pixmaps but those are ususally not the reason why a system doesn't boot up.

if you have a live cd at hand (like knoppix), we could try to launch that and take a look at the error messages in your /var/log folder.

[in order to do this, you need to mount the partition into knoppix. do this by opening a terminal, type su. now, type

mount -t ext3 /dev/hdaX /mnt

replace ext3 with the filesystem you have on your partition and replace X with the corresponding number of your linux /root partition.]

unplug all unnecessary devices from your computer (printers, card readers, ...) and try to boot the failsafe mode again.

still problems? in that case, at the boot-selection, hit f1 for advanced options and boot your system with the following parameters:

linux noapic nolapic

if that does not work, i recommend to download the latest knoppix (or kanotix) live-cd and check if those CAN boot on your system.

keep us informed of how you are going and don't forget to post error messages you encounter. B)

good luck! :)