access rights on directory [solved]

Guest jerome

Guest jerome

Hi,

I've got a problem on a Mandriva LE2005. I'm going to describe what I do, my english is poor.

Well, I create 3 directories under /home then I put this acces rigths :

# chmod 770 dir1 dir2 dir3

OK, with :

#ls -l

I've got, this :

drwrwx--- dir1

drwrwx--- dir2

drwrwx--- dir3

Few minutes later, I come back and I find this :

drwr-xr-x dir1

drwr-xr-x dir2

drwr-xr-x dir3

What are you thinking about that ?

Best regards

Jerome

Edited by jerome

who owns the directory anyway? also, does the directories already have a file before you chmod 770 them? try to #chmod 770 -R dir (-R for recursive) so all the files on that dir will be covered with 770 or if you want to remove the rx for other users, try to #chmod o-rx -R dir, that will remove the rx for o (others) and allow only user and group

Guest jerome
who owns the directory anyway? 

root is the owner of the 3 directories

also, does the directories already have a file before you chmod 770 them?

No

try to #chmod 770 -R dir  (-R for recursive) so all the files on that dir will be covered with 770 or if you want to remove the rx for other users, try to #chmod o-rx -R dir, that will remove the rx for o (others) and allow only user and group

I did it but no effect.

I looked at un /etc/profile and I saw "umask 022". So I changed it to "umask 007", without effect too.

I must say that this directories are some samba's shares but there is no create directory directive in my smb.conf. And I try with "create directory" directive set, but there is no change too.

Help :-(

Best regards

Jerome

What is your security setting? As root run:

# draksec

You will get a popup window from which you can set your security level. Anything greater than "High" will give you problems. Try setting it to Standard. Draksec is a graphical front end to msec, the mandriva security program. One of the things that msec does is reset file permissions which it does on an hourly basis. That's about the only thing I can think of that would reset the file permisions unless the files are mount points.

Guest jerome

YES, I'm waiting tomorrow to be sure of the result but it seems better since I changed the security level.

Tomorrow, may be I could close this topic.

Thank you very much

Best regards

Jerome