Configuring the monitor...

Guest snakedog

Guest snakedog

...I got Mandrake 10.2 installed, works great, then I went to move the computer and reset the monitor. I thought I'd be installing an IBM P70 monitor on the computer, but it turned out I've got a Gateway Vivtron 17. So now I get the message when Xwindows (Windowmaker) starts that "Scan is out of range" or somesuch. How can I reset the monitor from the console for Xwindows? I tried linuxconf and xconfigurator. Please advise, thanks!

Guest snakedog
Welcome to the board.

You can edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file in the Monitor section. You will see there the lines for the monitor.

I did that. Also ran xorgconfig. I'm getting into Windowsmaker now, but something's corrupted. Xwindows is locking up when I get the dropdown menu (right-click menu). And sometimes I'm not even getting that.

Guest snakedog

Yow, checking out the xorg.conf file, xorgconfig did a number on it: went from 2253 bytes to 14788 bytes. I do have an xorg.conf.old file, in which the monitor section reads as follows:

Section "Monitor"

Indentifier "monitor1"

VendorName "Generic"

ModelName "Generic"

HorizSync 30.0-50.0

VertRefresh 50.5-120.0

Modeline

EndSection

Xwindows does not load off this conf.

Appreciate your help. I hate to reinstall.

You need to know the horizontal and vertical synchorization ranges for your monitor. Replace HorizSync 30.0-50.0 and VertRefresh 50.5-120.0 with the proper ranges.

My monitor spec sheet gives:

horizontal 30kHz to 115 kHz

vertical 50 Hz to 160 Hz

So my monitor section looks like:

Section "Monitor"

Identifier "monitor1"

HorizSync 30.0-115.0

VertRefresh 50.0-160.0

DisplaySize 401 302

Option "DPMS"

Modeline "1400x1050" 162 1400 1464 1656 1960 1050 1051 1054 1100 +HSync +VSync

ModeLine "1400x1050" 184.0 1400 1464 1656 1960 1050 1051 1054 1100 +hsync +vsync

EndSection

Guest snakedog

I ended up reinstalling. Used the generic monitor settings. This is what they look like in the xorg.conf file on a fresh reinstall:

Section "Monitor"

Identifier "Generic"

ModelName "1024x768 @ 70 Hz"

HorizSync 31,5-57.0

VertRefresh 50-70

EndSection

What a pain over a stinkin' monitor, but at least I'm up and running again.

Is there a good way to back up one's conf files?

Thanks.

Guest snakedog

So, daniewicz, you're a Woody fan in Mississippi? He-heh, I was at Buckeye High back in the 70's, met the man a couple of times. I got a few Woody Hayes stories if you ever want to be bored with them. :offtopic:

Guest snakedog

Yeah, first time I saw Woody in person was RIGHT AFTER our win over Michigan in '74. He came thru Baker Commons. I was sittin' there eating and next thing you know, here's Coach standing on a table, giving a victory rant. Freaked me out (strange religion alway does!). Of course, we proceeded to riot on High Street that night. We had lots of good riots in the 70's. He-heh, in '79, we even burned a car in the middle of High Street.

I knew a lot of guys who played for him. I was a BB walk-on (we really svcked in those days -- 6-and-20 typically) so I got a chance to hoop against guys like Pete Johnson and Ron Springs. Used to see Woody up at the North Facility. Never really liked him 'til he took a swipe at an ABC cameraman in '75.

Those were the days...