How To: Aol Dsl on mdk 2005 LE

Damnation

ok the first thing you need to do is to open up a consol and get your self into sudo mode.

su

> Pass

once your are sudo'd, then type urpmi ppp, this will ask you if you are sure you want to install this package and its deps. once thats installed.

download the alpha drivers for the modem here:

Drivers

now if that url is broken you need to get the Nortek drivers from here.

Driver home page

once you have downloaded the drivers you need to decompress the files, i don't know the command line, so i double click and copy the folder into /home.

once you all is compressed, follow the step by step in the documentation file here:

Pdf Documenation

if you don't like pdf files there are several different formats found on this page. also covered in different languages.

Docs

once you get to create the configuration part, you apply custom settings.

i did this in the menu. i think there is a command line version if so it should go through them all step by step. but heres the settings i use to get onto aol dsl.

user: user full user name ie: user@aol.com

password: your password

vpi: 0

vci: 38

check update provider dns

dns1: aol.co.uk

dns2: aol.com

selection modem: i put bt voyager 105, IF yours is not on there, follow steps in the pdf file

make sure you have the right synch .bin file mine was synch03.bin

ppp mode: VCM_RFC2364

use DHCP: checked (so its on)

click create config.

once that is done. the consol will be ready for input. this is where you test, to see if you can get online.

type eciadsl-start

to start the connection u can log it by doing eciadsl-start | tee log.txt

hopefully you should be online. after 10-15 seconds. you will see in the consol it sending your username if thats happening. that means shortly you will be connected.

any time after you've connected, and say rebooted. you will need to be sudo'd to connect. you cannot connect to the internet without root priv's.

good luck

Regards Damnation

Edited by Damnation