Is my Media Manager Broken?

lakelover

I guess I've screwed up my media manger. Following direction of an earlier post I went to Easy-Urpmi. First I deleted the old headers on console (per EU instructions) then inserted the command lines prompted by EU. After about 2 1/2 hours of downloading, I went to media manager and only the "main" header is showing. When I go to "Add" or "Update" both return: "HTTP range error or the website is may not be available. Try later." I've tried numerous times over the last couple of days. I doubt that the server can be that overloaded so something else must be amiss. Any tips?

Pick a different source.

Well, I would if I could get to the list of sources. I just spent another 2 plus hours, downloading something (?) to the "Main" heading by adding "security team, key, which I probably shouldn't have done, When I go to "System/configuration/Packaging/Mandrakelinux Update," I get the error message. When I first started using the Update, it worked fine. I changed sources a couple of time when I was having problems and sometimes the "updating" worked. I don't understand why after twice downloading between two and three hours of data, I don't have anything to show for it. I followed the Easy-Urpmi explicitly. This is getting too frustrating. Obviousely, I'm doing something wrong. I just don't understand why I'm having so much trouble with Mandriva (linux); I'm getting close to dumping it. Pardon my ranting.

Jerry

If you are on dial up, then downloading is cumbersome. If you are on broadband, something is wrong.

I use sources from the Netherlands because they are reliable. Even sources in the US closer to me sometimes wreck havoc for connection, even with broadband. You must download the header files for the sources, or else the install won't know what's there. When you configure using Easy urpmi, you can drop down the lists and choose different sources, which are a list of servers. 2 hrs of header files would be a 2-3byte per second through-put, which would undoubtedly contain errors at such a slow rate. Clear urpmi sources and reconfigure it. That's what I'd do. (And have when this has happened to me!)

If you are on dial up, then downloading is cumbersome. If you are on broadband, something is wrong.

I use sources from the Netherlands because they are reliable. Even sources in the US closer to me sometimes wreck havoc for connection, even with broadband. You must download the header files for the sources, or else the install won't know what's there. When you configure using Easy urpmi, you can drop down the lists and choose different sources, which are a list of servers. 2 hrs of header files would be a 2-3byte per second through-put, which would undoubtedly contain errors at such a slow rate. Clear urpmi sources and reconfigure it. That's what I'd do. (And have when this has happened to me!)

I'm on dial-up, unfortunately. I'll give it another try and try the Netherlands. Thanks

clear the urpmi sources with:

urpmi.removemedia -a

and try again

Thanks. By the way, when I downloaded from Simple-Urpmi there was a line at the end that looked like an instruction. Don't recall exactly what is said but something such as "write: [ a command line which I don't recall what]. So, I tried, as root, and got the message that permission was denied. I guess it must have had something to do with the system or kernal or whatever but I couldn't execute it if I was supposed to. For the "noobee", there's lots of mysterious messages and instructions, but maybe I'll eventually figure it all out.

It's true! When I came from windows several years ago (Mandrake 7.0 was my first linux) I was mystifyed. But, it is just different, and is an animal that can be tamed better than windows. B)

I am still battling rpm updates. I have successfully downloaded Easy-Urpmi, and have made a couple of updates, however, things are still not as they should be. Originally, on the Media manager all the distribution cd's (1 thru 6) were listed plus "main" and "update." After deleting the headers in preparation for downloading from Easy-Urpmi, I regained only "main" and "update" headers. I've tried "adding" the CD's back in though I'm not sure I need them. When I select either "Official Update" or "Distribution Sources." I get "HTTP range error." Also, when I've tried updating kde files, I get a dependency message saying that "kdelibs-common" is required. I've looked on the kde web site but can't find anything there. Where and how do I get the file(s)?

Jerry

OK. First, when you configure easy rpm, you no longer will use your disks. The reason is that the net contains newer files. If you are missing some depends, then you need to configure all the sources, including plf and contrib. So, you should have main, updates, plf, contrib all configured as sources. Then, it'll work.