glibc-2.3.5 package recompile...

As I haven't found something similar, I would like to ask you some questions about rebuilding the glibc-2.3.5 package. Prior to any compilation, I have created a folder hierarchy in order to rpmbuild as a simple user and I created the .rpmmacros and the .rpmrc files in my home folder. So, I have downloaded the glibc-2.3.5-2mdk.src.rpm and I wanted it recompiled with gcc 4.0.1-0.2mdk and some pentium 4 optimisation flags: -O2 -pipe -march=i686 -mtune=pentium4. The only way to do it is by changing the glibc.spec file, more precisely in the BuildGlibc function. There, in the case $arch in switch, in the case $arch = i[3456]86, I have put BuildFlags="-pipe -march=$arch -mtune=pentium4" and then launched the compilation with rpmbuild -bb --target i686-linux glibc.spec. The compilation stopped saying there were no build-i586-linux folder for alternate ld.so test. Digging further in the specfile, I found these:

case $arch in
 i686|athlon)	base_arch=i586;;
 *)  base_arch=$arch;;
 esac
 [[ "$arch" = "$base_arch" ]] && ! [[ -n "$nptl" ]] && return 0

[[ -d "build-$base_arch-linux" ]] || {
   echo "ERROR: PrepareGlibcTest: build-$base_arch-linux does not exist for alternate ld.so test"
   return 1
 }
 check_flags="$check_flags -l build-$base_arch-linux/elf/ld.so"
 echo "%_smp_mflags -d build-$arch-linux$nptl $check_flags" >> $CheckList

at the end of the BuildGlibc function. Could someone explain me what is this all about? I am confused by the switch/case and then by the single equal sign right after the end of the switch/case. Is it supposed to be like this or is it supposed to be a single equal sign? I have tried to put those lines like this:

case $arch in
 i686|athlon)	base_arch="i586";;
 *)  base_arch=$arch;;
 esac
 [[ "$arch" == "$base_arch" ]] && ! [[ -n "$nptl" ]] && return 0

[[ -d "build-$base_arch-linux" ]] || {
   echo "ERROR: PrepareGlibcTest: build-$base_arch-linux does not exist for alternate ld.so test"
   return 1
 }
 check_flags="$check_flags -l build-$base_arch-linux/elf/ld.so"
 echo "%_smp_mflags -d build-$arch-linux$nptl $check_flags" >> $CheckList

but I still have the error.