Amarok & 2005 LE

Guest vulcan bomber

Guest vulcan bomber

Hi

I have started a project to give myself networked music through out the house.

I am starting slowly building each block as i go.

I have been working with with PC for over 15 years now, starting with BBC micro and working my way up through DOS Novell NT and windows have no Linux or Unix experience.

I had an old Dell PC which I kept with the intention of making it my music server.

I have now installed 2005LE on this as a standalone server.

The next thing I needed was a jukbox and after a lot of reading on the web about xmms, juk and Amarok. decided to use Amarok

A ) it came with 2005LE

B ) it got the best reviews

I have spent several days trying to get this to work, it's lucky I'm retired now!

1. The version shipped with 2005 does nor work and I have noticed on the amarok site that there is no 2005LE distrib for 1.2

2. the 1.3 beta version does not work either if you try to intall it it asked for a 1.3 engine???

3. The following does work

a ) Download the 1.2 version for 10.1, along with musicbrainz and libmysql

b ) Before installing delete ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok directory

c ) delete ~/.kde/share/config/amarokrc file

d ) install the downloaded file by clicking it and let RPM install it. DO NOT USE THE 1.2 package in the install packages utility, they are different!!!

e ) if all has been successful it should run the Wizard and the third step should take you to the databases select sqlite and it should work alright then.

f ) in future if it crashes, uninstall software, do B) and c) and use the downloaded version to re-install.

My next steps.

1. Work out why Amarok crashes building a libraary containing FLAC files

2. Get it to work with mysql I have built the database, and know i have to run the config again, however no where can I find which directory to run this from??

3. Network the server, until Wireless "n" becomes common and cheap i will buy a cheap switch and hard wire them.

4. Get my XP PC talking to the Linux server and playing music downloaded from the server

5. Be able to listen to music downloaded into living room or any other rooom, still working how to go about this.

Anyone any suggestions based on their own experince?

I am using SlimServer it's installed and running on a LE box at my house . i've ripped all my music cd's onto this server

i connect to the server using LE2005 using amarok over the net and stream the music from my home into my office .

it works great .

i had it working with Kaffine but when i switched to a password protected server , kaffine didn't seem to handle authenication out of the box and amarok did . i liked kaffine better but havent spent the time investigating why authentication doesn't fly.

XP users can use winamp

slimserver comes as an rpm with way easy installation

i use jinzora for a while and im keeping slimserver

Edited by ddmcse