urpmi

Guest CyberCrunch

Guest CyberCrunch

Hey,

I've been trying to install ethereal lately and I thought I should just use urpmi to avoid all of the dependency errors... but when I su to root and type "urpmi ethereal" I get the following message:

[root@crunch root]# urpmi ethereal

Some package requested cannot be installed:

ethereal-0.10.11-0.1.101mdk.i586 (due to unsatisfied net-snmp-utils)

Continue? (Y/n)

I thought urpmi was supposed to take care of all of this for me... :(

EDIT: Forgot to mention, its mandrake 10.1 official.

Edited by CyberCrunch

This is on 10.2, where net-snmp-utils shows to be on CD4 and ethereal has a security update. What do the following commands show on your machine?

[rolf@localhost ~]$ urpmq net-snmp-utils
net-snmp-utils
[rolf@localhost ~]$ urpmq net-snmp-utils --sources
/mnt/hd//media/main4/net-snmp-utils-5.2.1-3mdk.i586.rpm
[root@localhost rolf]# urpmq --sources ethereal
/mnt/hd//media/main4/ethereal-0.10.10-1mdk.i586.rpm
ftp://ftp.ciril.fr/pub/linux/mandrakelinux/official/updates/LE2005/main_updates/./
ethereal-0.10.11-0.1.102mdk.i586.rpm
[rolf@localhost ~]$ urpmq --list-media
simonzone
Drivers and Plugins Special Club CD41
Drivers and Plugins Special Club CD42
Drivers and Plugins Special Club CD43
Drivers and Plugins Special Club CD44
Drivers and Plugins Special Club CD45
Installation CD11
Installation CD21
Installation CD31
Silver Club Extra CD51
Silver Club Extra CD61
Silver Club Extra CD62
plf-free
plf-nonfree
updates
contrib
club.commercial_x86-32_2005LE

If you use the download edition of Mandrake 10.1 Official, there may be some software that are included into the 3 disks.

The best way to alleviate this is to add the main repository also to your URPMI repository. Use easy-urpmi link above to add it. This has an added advantage since you don't need the CDs anymore to install software. Everything will be pulled from the net.

[..]

This has an added advantage since you don't need the CDs anymore to install software. Everything will be pulled from the net.

The first part of the advice I agree with. I have never understood, however, why use (sometimes slow or unreliable) bandwidth to get packages that are right at your machine?

[..]

This has an added advantage since you don't need the CDs anymore to install software. Everything will be pulled from the net.

The first part of the advice I agree with. I have never understood, however, why use (sometimes slow or unreliable) bandwidth to get packages that are right at your machine?

Well in my case, the people who are my clients always misplace the CDs I have given them :lol: Many times I came to their site asking, where are the CDs, and it took them half an hour sometimes to scrounge cabinets, drawers, etc to find the CDs, most of them scratched beyond believe. In that time, I could just fire up the Internet (dialup even) and just download the things I need.

Of course, your experience may be different. This is just a side benefit of using the internet to download the required packages. If the Internet access is metered, then it may not be a good idea.

OK, I can see the possibilities, now. My experience is limited to my single-user desktop :cheesy: Thanks for the insight!

Guest CyberCrunch

I have already set up urpmi, I don't think net-snmp-tools are on the mandrake disc but if they are the easy-urpmi tool doesn't let you select CD anyways...

with my current configuration this is what I get:

[root@localhost]# urpmq net-snmp-tools

no package named net-snmp-tools

If you look on the mirrors, you will see the net-snmp-tools rpm is there, under 10.1, such as:

ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/Linux/distribution...2-6mdk.i586.rpm

As DragonMage said, you could add an ftp 'main' source for 10.1 at EasyUrpmi and have this package available that way. However, I would think it is on your CD's and urpmi is not configured properly for you. To check that, I asked for the output of urpmq --list-media

If you look on the CD's, under the media* directories, do you not find this package?