Losing /dev/slamr0 after reboot [solved]

Guest tuxboy2k5

Guest tuxboy2k5

I'm trying to install the slmodem package on a laptop, HPCompaq with agere PC 97 soft modem. I think this software will work because it will install /dev/slamr0 file and this is the one that works in simplyMepis. After compiling and

"make install", it installed the device files automatically. The instruction in the end says, "REBOOT" and after rebooting, the device file /dev/slamr0 is nowhere to be found. Does this has something to do with udev? The same story is happening with ltmodem package. Anyone?

Are you using the Mandrake RPM or are you compiling from source? IIRC, if you are using the Mandrake RPM, there is a service called slmodemd that you need to enable in order to access the modem.

If you are using the smartlink source code, you need to put this line into your /etc/modprobe.preload file

slamr

Then add these lines into your /etc/rc.local file

/usr/sbin/slmodemd --country=USA /dev/slamr0 &
rm /dev/modem
ln -s /dev/ttySL0 /dev/modem

Then you can use /dev/modem as your modem device.

Good luck

Guest tuxboy2k5

Thanks a lot for the advice. I also had other problems when compiling the slmodem source. It mentioned about wrong symbols but I managed to find the cause of the problem. My agere ac 97 modem now is working. I shall post a howto soon in the tricks and tips.