Internet annoyances

Guest BooYah

I'm having a few problems with connecting to the internet. They're all related together, so I'm hoping someone can get me started tracking down the problem.

I connect to the interent on my laptop through a LAN pc card to an ADSL modem.

1) If the modem cable is not plugged to the LAN card at boot-up, the LAN card is not initialized. If I want to go on-line I have to reboot and plug the cable in.

2) About half the time, my computer doesn't detect the connection to the modem at start-up. I have to go Mandrake Control Center -> Network/Internet-> Connection -> click the connect button and then wait for drakconnect to reconfigure my set-up.

3) My computer hangs on shut down, if my network connection is up. It hangs for a few minutes then shuts down. If the modem cable was not connected at start-up (see #1), it shuts down cleanly.

The only shutdown error I get is: Shutting down IrDA [failed].

What is IrDA? I can't seem to find any help or man files for it.

I believe the IrDA connection is your Infrared Data Access port(or something like that). And since you didn't know what it was that meens you probobly don't have any infrared devices, so you can turn it off so that it never gets started.

The shutdown problem is realy not a problem but just the computer waiting for the isp's return signal. If the computer knows its not connected then it never asks the ISP for a return signal. I.E. no wait at shutdown.

As for the "connection at start up problem". I can only hazard to guess that something between your computer, the ADSL modem or your ISP is causing a fuzzy signal. If your computer doesn't get a good return signal from the ISP at start up it assumes your not connected. Check for loose/bad wires and ask the ISP if they know of a way to test or clear up the signal from their end. They might send someone out to fix things if they can. You pay more for ADSL so expect more.

Ok. That makes sense.

Is there a way to by pass or skip the wait for the ISP's return signal on shutdown?

As for the "connection at start up problem". I can only hazard to guess that something between your computer, the ADSL modem or your ISP is causing a fuzzy signal.
Is there a quick command line way of establishing a connection, rather than having to do what I described?

Any ideas on why the cable needs to be connected for the pc card to be initilialized? Windblows didn't care.  If it doesn't intialize, is there something I can run from the command line so I don't have to reboot?

They might send someone out to fix things if they can. You pay more for ADSL so expect more.
Not in Japan.  ADSL is much much cheaper than by-the-minute.  Besides, if they send someone to my apartment, I'll be forking over hundreds of dollars to watch some bonehead jiggle some wires around and then politely tell me that he can't do anything beause I run Linux. :?