Help correctly updating glib [solved]

Aomighty

Hey, recently, I made the foolish mistake of trying to update my GIMP installation, and I ended up having to update GTK+ in order to do so. However, GTK+ required Pango, which required, Glib, which required Pkg-config. Anyway, I installed Pkg-config okay, and it looked like I installed Glib okay, except that I still need to uninstall the old version (2.4.6) to update to (2.6.5). Anyway, if I click that in the Mandrake Control Center, it labels it as having a bazillion other dependencies which looked like it might totally screw things up to remove it. However, trying to run ./configure in Pango won't let me go on unless I get the newer version of Glib. How oh how can I do this, as it's still not detecting the version of Glib I just installed?

I think I'm in way over more head :).

Edited by Ao the Unstoppable

Yeah, sounds like you've gotten into a lot of trouble here. If you keep messin' around, you will almost certainly break something(s). For starters, GLIBC is one of the basic underpinnings of Linux distros, and for all but the most experienced users should only be ugraded by upgrading the entire distro.

Additionally, it sounds like you've installed at least some stuff without using urpmi, (the CLI equivilent of the MCC>Software Manager GUI, but more powerful) instead installing software from source tarballs. This is not good, because now urpmi has no idea what you've installed, so can no longer keep all the dependencies, library versions, etc. organized and compatible.

The lesson to be learned is regardless of your distro or package type, it's always best to use the distro's installation tools and install packages intended for your distro. Source tarballs should only be used as a last resort. In this case, that means you should've installed The Gimp with urpmi, and if you had, urpmi would've taken care of all dependencies, etc. for you.

As far as fixing things now, best bet is to uninstall everything you installed using:

# ./configure

# make

# make install

instead of the MCC Software Manager or:

# urpmi -v <packagename>.

Then go to the 'Easy-Urpmi' link at the top of this forums' page and follow the directions to setup online package sources and start using the real power of urpmi. You didn't say what version of MDK/MDV you're using, but once you get 'Easy urpmi' properly setup, it will, like I said, automagically fetch and install the latest available version of The Gimp, (which should be at the least fairly recent) any dependencies, and install everything for you in the proper order.

Okay, I was wondering if I would have to do that. i've installed a few other programs from source, but they were new ones, such as Firefox Thunderbird and Openoffice.

Urpmi sounds very useful. I'll try it. Also my version is 10.1.

Well, urpmi is VERY useful. In Easy-Urpmi, add 'Contrib', PLF 'Free' and 'Non-free', Norlug and Thac's sources, and of course the main and updates sources for 10.1. Then you should be able to automatically download and install at least very recent, and sometimes the newest, versions of almost anything you need by just su'ing to root and:

# urpmi -v <packagename.>

Add the Cooker sources at your own risk. That's beta stuff in testing for the next release and may or may not cause problems, though it's pretty cutting-edge. If Cooker still tempts you, be aware Cooker stuff may be particularly troublesome right now since while 10.1 and LE2005 are compiled with gcc3.4, the next release (Mandriva 2006) will be gcc4.0-based and more and more Cooker software is being compiled on gcc4.0 and so can possibly be problematic. Also, Mandriva is undergoing some significant changes while it integrates with Connectiva/Lycoris. Things should shake out better by the 2006 release.