Mandrake Linux 10.1 - How to edit modprobe.conf

Guest Flukey

Guest Flukey

Hi guys,

Im trying to edit my modprobe.conf file to add in a few liens for the Sony Programmable I/O Control Device Driver, only problem is i can open it but i can't write to it. I am using kwrite to edit it. However i am logged in as a standard user, would i need to be logged in as root and also, i can't log in to root via the GUI login. How would i go about logging into root in Verbose mode. Cheers guys.

Any ideas to help me out?

Thanks

Flukey :banana:

Yes, you need to be in root privilege mode to do this.

Easiest way, is in the CLI, go to /etc and then type su and supply root password. Then type vi and modprobe.conf

press "i" will allow you to insert and make amendments

press "esc" will exit editing, and then to save type ":w"

to quit type ":q"

The other option, is click Run Command in KDE, and then type kwrite and run as different user, username root, and password for root.

edit "moved to Terminal Shell Commands, Kernel and Programming as this is more appropriate for the task in hand".

Guest Flukey

Hi ok i done that, thanks very much. Now the problem is actually getting the sonypi driver to work. I have put the code required in the modprob.conf file but i still shows no sign of working. I should have a file in /dev/ called sonypi but this seems to be none-existence even thought Easy Urpmi and the software managwr says it is installed. Any idea folks?

Thanks

Your best bet for this if you want it to start each time your system is rebooted, is remove from modprobe.conf and pop it in modprobe.preload instead. This resides in the same location as modprobe.conf (/etc).

To check if it's loaded, type lsmod and then it should be in the list if the module is loaded for it.