knewsticker and firefox [solved]

Xnomad

Whenever I click a link on the knewsticker applet it downloads the web page to my hard disk and then opens it up in Firefox. This is a problem because if the web page is scripted it gets all confused and doesn't know how to open it. I want to be able to click on a link in knewsticker and Firefox loads the link like a normal url and doesn't open it from a downloaded source off my hard disk.

If I change the html mime to open in Konqueror and click on a link then konqueror loads the page up directly by the URL and does not download the page to disk first. Does anyone know how to fix this.

Edited by Xnomad

What version of Mandrake/Mandriva are you running?

If LE2005, go into Configure Your Computer, then Components and Components chooser, and set Firefox as the default browser.

If you're running 10.0/10.1 then there's a few things to do. First run gnome-default-applications-properties and set default browser here (and email too if you like).

Then, go into Configure Your Computer, and then Components and File Associations, and configure all relevant web page types to open with Firefox. Firefox may not be on the list, so you'll have to add the app, and then move it to the top of the list for each file type you want.

Hope that helps.

Thanks yes I'm using LE 2005 but the problem isn't that firefox isn't my default browser, I've already set the mime types correctly it's just that it seems to save files to /var/tmp/ and then load them in Firefox which takes longer and messes up any images or scripts.

The same goes for configuring some kde applications for instance the applet Kweather, if I click on the link called "look up your ICAO code" it downloads the web page to /var/tmp/kdecache......... then loads it up in Firefox under the /var..... link.

"%u" that's all it is

In the file associations -> text -> html -> mozilla firefox -> application -> command

make sure that it says

/usr/local/bin/firefox/firefox %u

Note the %u !!!

That fixed it. :D

LOL I'm making a real habit of answering my own questions on this board.