No sound with Quicktime movies

ianw1974

I use kaffeine for playback of my movies. The xine-win32 plugins are installed, which is allowing playback of the majority of stuff fine. The only thing is I'm missing sound in any quicktime movies.

How can I get the sound to work?

Hi Solarian,

Tried that didn't work, however, I removed all the VLC stuff and dependencies so I was back to where I was. Then I opened with mplayer and it works fine with that. Just not with kaffeine, or VLC!

Still, I'm sorted, just would be nice to use with kaffeine, I prefer that :P

I'm not too sure... and I'm too lazy to go and see on my web site where my notes are (My experience with the EPIA M10000N). However, I seem to remember that I had this problem too, and now I don't have anymore. So I suppose the solution involves doing something similar to what I did: uninstall the win32 RPM, then install the win32 codecs "by hand" from the link on the Xine web site, and then installing latest version of Xine, and Xine-lib...

I hope this helps.

Yves.

Well, damn, I finally got quicktime movie trailer sound to work in kaffeine. I had manually installed all the codecs from the mplayer site, but the piece that I was missing was the xine-win32-1.0.1-0.1.102plf.i586.rpm from PLF free (thanks Ian and theYinYeti for that good advice). Doing an 'rpm -qpl' on it, it contains:

/usr/lib/xine/plugins/1.0.1/xineplug_decode_qt.so

/usr/lib/xine/plugins/1.0.1/xineplug_decode_w32dll.so

Did rpm -Uvh --force --nodeps to install it (because I had the custom codecs from mplayer site and it complained about dependencies).

I had all the other codecs in /usr/lib/xine/plugins, so I copied these two files to there as well, just to be safe. Afterwards, I rebooted and then movie trailer sound started working in kaffeine.

Xine version is xine-ui-0.99.3-2mdk and libxine1-1.0.1-0.1.102plf.

The motivation for this, of course, was The War of the Worlds (and Layer Cake ). :lol2:

Edited by jboy