Problem with TurboPrint [solved]

lakelover

I hate to say this but I'm getting fed up with Mandriva. It seems that a day doesn't go by that something stops working. This time it's Turboprint. I paid $30 for this program so I can print using my Win printer: Canon i560. I was pleased with the program which worked fine until a couple of days ago. Now, I can't print any thing off Linux apps. The TuboPrint site (ZEDOnet) has no support though there is a operations manual which hasn't helped. The only clue I have is that I get a message that the parallel port is busy but I can't figure out what is making it busy. The printer is the only hardware connected to the parallel port. I've managed to pile up 16 print jobs while trying to make the printer work, and so far I haven't figured out how to cancel those jobs. So, any help, you all can give me will be much appriciated. Are any of you using Turboprint?

Jerry

what device is the parallel port? assuming its /dev/par0 (im guessing here) then try running lsof (you might need to run this as root if it is installed at all) against that device and kill the process which holds it before running turboprint again.

you said it was working a few days ago, can you recall any configuration/application changes you have made on your system until turboprint stopped working?

ciao!

I ran lsof and couldn't find /dev/par0. I did find a number of "parallel" notations including this one:

parallel 17166 root 3w CHR 6,0 5709 /dev/lp0

I will send you all the "paraIlel" notations if that will help but I was afraid of making too large a post. I also found these which I assume are Turboprint files:

tpprint   17198         lp  cwd       DIR        3,5    4096          2 / 
tpprint   17198         lp  rtd       DIR        3,5    4096          2 / 
tpprint   17198         lp  txt       REG        3,5  593128     626648 /usr/bin/tpprint 
tpprint   17198         lp  mem       REG        3,5 1209384     376165 /lib/tls/libc-2.3.4.so 
tpprint   17198         lp  mem       REG        3,5  136904     376167 /lib/tls/libm-2.3.4.so 
tpprint   17198         lp  mem       REG        3,5  524936     376111 /lib/ld-2.3.4.so 
tpprint   17198         lp    0r      CHR        1,3                820 /dev/null 
tpprint   17198         lp    1w     FIFO        0,5              49362 pipe 
tpprint   17198         lp    2w     FIFO        0,5              49360 pipe

Regarding your question about whether I have configured any applications. . . I've been messing around a lot with Kmail trying to configure it (unsuccessfully) so I can download email headers without downloading the messages. And I have download bugs fixes to KDE. I've probably also messed with a few other things trying to learn my way around Mandriva but I don't recall specifics.

Any more ideas? Also, how can I configure CUPS to recognize Turboprint?

Jerry

Finally. . . got my printer working. Thanks to all for the help. I found the solution right under my nose in Menu/System/Configuration/KDE/Periferals/Printers/Jobs. I don't know, however, what the original problem was but in the process of trying to fix it over the course of three or four days I cued up 41 print jobs, I guess the memory got clogged. :wall: