Strange problem [solved]

immoral giant

Have you tried pressing CTRL-ALT-F1 to get a prompt and logging in that way, without using the KDE screen?

Once logged in, type echo $LANG (case is important), and it will tell you what keyboard is set.

If this is OK, what you need to do next is su to root, then type "updatedb". Then type "slocate rpmnew"

There will be a few files listed, which is why you cannot log in. These need to replace their corresponding file. Report back with the list, and I'll help you next.....

I eventually managed to do ctrl + alt + f1 after restarting the X-server.

The keyboard was fine en-GB, and i managed to logon fine.

So i did slocate, and theres came up:

/etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc.rpmnew

/etc/kde/kdeglobals.rpmnew

/etc/nsswitch.conf.rpmnew

/etc/mime.types.rpmnew

/etc/qtrc.rpmnew

OK, you need to do this:

Switch to each of the directories, and replace each .conf file with the .rpmnew. To do:

cd /etc/kde/kdm

cp kdmrc.rpmnew kdmrc.conf

repeat for each of the others. Take copies of the original .conf files first, in case there are any other adverse effects, but you should be OK.

The "echo $LANG" command, just gives back what's set for the keyboard.

If the rpmnew's have now replaced the files as before, you still can't log in through KDE?

What happens?

To get rid of X, type "init 3" when on as su, which should stop it, then try startx after that to get it back up.

Login using the CTRL-ALT-F1 again, issue the init 3 to stop X.

Then type urpmi --auto-select --auto

This will download any apps that might be out-of-date that may have been missed as part of the upgrade of KDE. This will also sync every other app to the latest version too, so that you are all up-to-date.

You'll also need to do the updatedb and slocate rpmnew again in case some new files are down that weren't updated as part of this update.

Edited by ianw1974

OK, if these have been copied over, then that's fine.

To remove these, you'd need to delete the rpmnew file after you've copied it over, and then run updatedb again. After that, if you did slocate rpmnew, no files would be listed.