Problems installing software

jigarzon

Hi, im using mandrakelinux 10.1 since 1 month, and im having problems when installing soft...

I configured the mediums where mandrake should search for packages in the easy urpmi page, following the wizard and selecting:

For "Core Distributions", i checked updates and contrib.

For "Other packages" i checked source JPackage and source plf Free.

I also checked the option to use compressed indexes.

Im not sure what jpackage and plf free is, the only thing is that once i didn't checked j package, and there where some unsatisfied dependencies when installing...

First I installed Anjuta 1.2.2... what i did is simple, i searched "anjuta" in the "Install software" program (I think its name is drakrpm), and checked anjuta... lots of libraries and programs where checked too, so I downloaded approximately 150 MB, and installed it... it installed ok, i opened it, and it failed when compiling because there was no autoconf>2.5 .... y searched and find that my autoconf version was 2.59...

In addition, a little surprise was left by the installation... i dont know why, but after that, all my type associations for gnome where lost, i couldnt open even a .txt file, and I couldnt associate them back...

After that, i resigned anjuta (i never used it before, dont know if its good or not), and tryied to install KDevelop. (I'm a programmer, and need to stop installing things and begin to work quikly!!). Im not sure, i think it comes with mandriva, but i forgot to install it in the installation.

I did the same thing, with the install software app, I searched kdevelop, and 500 MB of dependencies where found... after installing, i had more surprises!!! (these where worse)

First, I lost my entire Application Menu. Then I tryied to run the "remove software" program, and it failed. From the console, when running "urpmi", i got a "command not found" message, and after urpmq, i got about 10 lines of errors, and it didnt work. I executed drakrpm from the console, and i receive a segmentation fault error... And I have KDE 3.3 now (the version which comes with mandrake10.1 is 3.2)..

So, i know that after a day (and night) googling and asking, maybe I can fix the problem (i think its with perl), but the main problem will still be there...

Im a bit disappointed, im installing things all the time, and i cannot enjoy anything of mandrake... Of course, that I am doing something bad, but dont know what... I will reinstall mandrake now, but please help me to find the problem... why does every installation bring problems?

Thanks for reading all this!!

You definitely pointed at the correct mirrors for 10.1 and not 2005 by any chance?

KDE 3.3 is usually installed when you upgrade to LE2005, so it's possible you could have a partial installation of LE2005. This can easily be checked, if you can get into KDE, go into the Software Media Manager, and then click "Edit" on one of the options and see if it mentions 10.2 or 2005 in the url line?

You could resolve this in two ways:

1. Complete the upgrade fully to LE2005, by urpmi --auto-select --auto. This will upgrade every software component installed, so that they aren't out of sync. Afterwards, type updatedb, and then slocate rpmnew and check and compare these files, and replace their corresponding .conf file where necessary. Be careful with this though, don't replace group.conf, even if there is a group.conf.rpmnew file.

2. Reinstall 10.1, so that you have a completely clean system, and point to the 10.1 mirrors for urpmi.

Edited by ianw1974

OK, make sure you have all of them - main, contrib, updates, jpackage, plf-free, plf-nonfree.

Then you won't have to worry about any dependencies being missing when software is installed.

Hope it's all working now!