KDE won't start as non-root user [solved]

Guest georgec5614

Guest georgec5614

Hi all,

I am having a problem getting KDE to run as a non-root user. I am doing a fresh install of LE2005 and the install goes fine. I selected not to start with a graphical interface. After the computer reboots I log in as a user and type startx at the console. It switches over to X and I get the blue screen with the spinning hour glass. After a few seconds the screen turns grey and the cursor becomes an arrow and it just stays there. After a few minutes I used ctrl-alt-F1 to switch back to the console I used to start X, and I can see the following message at the bottom:

(EE) Failed to load module "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.a"

At this point I have to start another console log in as root and kill all x processes started by the user. If I type startx as root it does load KDE, however for obvious reasons I do not want to be running as root all the time.

If I open xorg.conf and rem out the line that loads that module KDE does start as a non-root user. So I guess I need to know if that module is really necessary, and will I have problems with any programs run from KDE without it.

Thanks

Edited by georgec5614

Check for a line in xorg.conf that equals the following:

Section "DRI"

Mode 0666

EndSection

It could be that the number isn't set correctly, only allowing root. This could be the problem. If this section doesn't exists, create it, normally I do it at the end of the file.