Mandriva LE 2005 Startup Issue

Guest LinuxFuzzy

Guest LinuxFuzzy

Hi all.

I'm new to MandrivaUsers, and have been trying to try out the new Mandriva LE 2005. Here's my problem:

The installation process goes fine, and I reboot, everything loads fine until I get to where KDE or any other graphical desktops can be loaded/where I log in, and the screen scrambles. Anyone know anything about this? Anybody having the same problem?

I'm running a Dell Dimension XPS Gen 4

Dual-boot with XP

It could be my graphics card, a Nvidia GeForce 6800, but I'm uncertain. Any help would be appriciated, and if anyone needs more info to help, let me know of any other specs you might need. Thanks in advance!

You most likely need to download and install the NVidia drivers to get the graphics to work. You can boot "failsafe" from the menu to get to a CLI, and then install the drivers following the install instructions for them.

Guest LinuxFuzzy

I downloaded the NVIDIA drivers, and tried to install them in a CLI as root. It wouldn't install. It can't find a precompiled kernel Module.. or something like that. I tried using a basic driver (having done a reinstall) and that worked, but now I've run into other problems, like no sound.

I have a Soundblaster Audigy2 ZS, and am using the recommended ALSA driver for it, but still, no sound. I also have a 5.1 sound system. Any ideas? Please bear with me guys, I've got a lot of computer skill, but I'm still very much a newbie when it comes to linux. I appriciate the help.

It sounds like the old problem of not having installed the kernel-source package that matches the kernel installed.

I would check that first. Remember that the kernel number must match the kernel-source number. It must be the same. Then you can install ANY Nvidia driver.

In Mandriva2005-LE, in the packages list there is an nvidia driver and also an nvidia-kernel. It is strange they were not installed during the install process. When Mandriva2005 does its video detection in the latter part of the install it asks you to insert a couple of the install cd discs and this is usually to install those nvidia packages if they were not selected beforehand.

Hope this helps. John.

Open up Kmix and make sure that Master and PCM are set to just short of maximum and that the simulated leds are a light blue/green (for ON) instead of being dark.

Also go into KDE Control Centre and select ---> Sound. Then select --->Enable The Sound System then click Apply.

Hope this helps you out. John.

Another thing is make sure this is added to /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Section "DRI"

Mode 0666

EndSection

something this helps solve screen scrambles.

Guest LinuxFuzzy

I have to reinstall due to a fit of getting fed up last night, :P but I'll let everybody know how well your suggestions work out. Thanks. :D

Guest avalah

I have the same problem but I have ATI Radeon x600pro with PCI Express and on starting KDE screen hangs out, mouse and keyboard doesn't work and I only can restart my machine. Do you know what can I do with this problem?

Thanks

Have you tried using CTRL-ALT-F1 to get to a CLI so you can log in that way? Or, you could use the failsafe option from the menu.

Then when at the CLI, you can edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf and ensure that:

Section "DRI"

Mode 0666

EndSection

exists in the file. Does that help resolve?