Linux Beginner, Problems with my Laptop!

Hi, Im new so please no telling me to alter code unless you guide me through.

Problem 1: My Compaq Presario R3000 has APM in windows, allowing me to see the status of my battery. When I install the APM kerel it disables my sound. I have Sound Max Integrated audio (Thats all I know what the sounds called). Please can you help me to get my APM working and my sound.

Problem 2: When ever I try to play tuxracer and games that use the 3D openGL rendering it doesn't work, its the same with openGL screensavers, I have a Nvidia Geforce 4. Any ideas??

Problem 3: How can I save my work on a windows drive so I can work on the stuff in windows, I have win XP and a NTFS win partition.

Problem 4: Not really a prob but could you tell me where I can get LILO Boot screens??

Thanks

Bob The Nob

Welcome to the board.

I have had similar problems just recently, so the scars are still fresh :D. Please tell us a bit more.

Is this an old laptop or a recent one? How do you know it's only APM compatible? If it's a recent model, it may work with ACPI as well. What do you mean "install APM kernel"? Is it a custom build kernel? Standard Mandrake kernels support both ACPI and APM.

Check the driver you using for your sound card. It should be loaded as a module, and you should see error messages in the system logs. To access the logs, login as root and type dmesg in the comannd line. You can also find out which driver is used from the hardware profile. Open Mandrake Control Centre (click the icon with a wrench), then open Hardware and click on soundcard. It should tell you what driver is being used and waht are alternatives which you can try. I got my ADI SoundMax Cadenza working with intel810_audio driver.

To play tuxracer, you will need to enable 3D acceleration support for your videoadapter. It's not a big deal, since NVidia cards have a better support than some other cards. Unfortunately (for you), I never had problems with NVIDIA, they just worked for me. Hopefully, somebody will help you out.

The easiest and safest way to transfer files from/to Windows is to create a dedicated FAT32 partition, or simply copy files to a USB memory stick. There is also a commercial software, and some may even offer an older/limited version for free or a free trial.

1) the kernel is APM/ACPI, I don't really understand the diff. but when I install a diffrent kernel to the one that installs at first (Im using Mandrake Linux 10.0). When I first boot into linux there is no APM/ACPI until I install this kernel, when I do my sound is totally cut off, something to do with a mixer but I can pick a new mixer, the dropdown menu is blank. My laptop is fairly new, 6 month old. My sound is currently working on intel810_audio driver but I don't have the APM/ACPI kernel installed.

2) I just cant get tuxracer to work, how do I enable 3D video accel??

As I have said before, I am new so please don't bog me down with weird and new words.

4) Do you know where I can make my own LILO boot themes???

oh, and where can I get good games for Linux???

If this post is confusing, sorry, I cant get what I mean to say out properly.

Bob The Nob

ACPI is a newer standard which allows OS to manage power, as opposed to APM which delegates most of power management to BIOS functions. ACPI is more powerful and flexible. As a result, if set up it correctly, it can help you to squeeze an extra hour out of your battery.

Most likely, the problem with sound is due to the kernel loads a wrong module for your soundcard. ACPI or APM should not have anything to do with that. Another kernel loads a correct sound module but is not configured to boot with correct power options. I believe, your system just needs to be tuned a bit. It's no big drama but it may require a bit of patience.

First of all, boot the kernel which gives you working sound, open a terminal and type in the command prompt su, then type in root password. Next, type in the following commands

uname -r
service apmd status
service acpi status
service acpid status

and post outputs here. Also, locate the file /etc/lilo.conf and post it here.

GOOD NEWS! Since I have updated my NGraphics drivers my OpenGL progs work!!

OUTPUT

[****@localhost / ]$ su

Password:

[root@localhost / ]# uname -r

2.6.3-7mdk

[root@localhost / ]# service apmd status

Cannot find apmd service

Usage: service -[Rfshv] SERVICE ARGUMENTS

-f|--full-restart: Do a fullrestart of the service.

-R|--full-restart-all: Do a fullrestart of all services currently running.

-s|--status-all: Print a status of all services.

-d|--debug: Launch with debug.

-h|--help: This help.

-v|--version: Print version.

version 1.14

[root@localhost / ]# service acpi status

Cannot find acpi service

version 1.14

[root@localhost / ]# service acpid status

Cannot find acpid service

version 1.14

[root@localhost / ]#

LILO-CONF OUTPUT

# File generated by DrakX/drakboot

# WARNING: do not forget to run lilo after modifying this file

boot=/dev/hda

map=/boot/map

default="Windows"

keytable=/boot/uk.klt

prompt

nowarn

timeout=50

message=/boot/message

menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="Linux"

root=/dev/hda5

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda6 splash=silent"

vga=788

read-only

other=/dev/hda1

label="Windows"

table=/dev/hda

and do you know where I can download LILO BOOT THEMES???

Ok, since neither apmd nor acpi, acpid are found, my next question is: Do you have them installed?

If you want to use APM, install apmd package. Then go to MCC -> System -> Services and check the box to enable apmd to start on boot. Make sure that acpi, acpid boxes are unchecked. Next, backup your current /etc/lilo.conf. Just copy it to another file, so you can restore it later if things will go wrong. Edit the file /etc/lilo.conf and change the line

append="devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda6 splash=silent"

to

append="devfs=mount acpi=off resume=/dev/hda6 splash=silent"

You may also need options nolapic or noapic, or both. Save, then as root run

# lilo -v

Watch for errors. Make sure that everything is fine, and only then reboot. After reboot, you should have apmd daemon working (check whether that is true using the service command). To monitor the battery status, use klaptop (KDE) or Gnome battery monitor, or gkrellm.

The process of installing ACPI is similar. First install acpi and acpid packages. Then go to MCC -> System -> Services and check the box to enable them to start on boot, and uncheck apmd.

Next, go to LILO configuration screen in MCC and check the box "Enable ACPI". Close MCC, inspect /etc/lilo.conf (it's unlikely that you will need to edit it). To be safe, run lilo -v as root. Reboot, and check the status of acpi and acpid using the service command.

If you go into System/Configuration/Packaging/Install Software, and then look for:

apmd

There will also be:

acpi

acpid

if you wish to install these too, as these are also related.