Mandrake 10.1 Installation Troubleshooting

eur0kidu

I run Mandrake 10.1 installation everything goes fine, and at the Package Group Selection i chose:

Workstation (I checked every single box)

Server (I checked every single box)

Graphical Environment (I checked every single box)

After all i could log on to Mandrake and properly use it, but i noticed it was the most minimal installation with the least of applications available. So i decided to reinstall the Mandrake 10.1 from scratch, and choose at the Package Group Selection the following:

Workstation (I checked every single box)

Server (I checked every single box)

Graphical Environment (I checked every single box)

AND

Individual Package Selection box

I chose every single package, so that the total size was 5gigs out of 5gigs.

When i'm about to boot at the BootLoader menu where the Verbose Mode is, it will fully load but it will stop and freeze afterwards. It remains at that blue screen forever...

Hey, i just went through my BIOS and looked the heck everywhere for the ANTI-Virus feature but nothing was there except, in the security tab, where there was only password feature. So i installed the Mandrake 10.1 once again (5th time) and i see that once it boots up, the bootloader disappears and the blue screen remains forever!! I have never seen such troubleshooting, and it is very irritating!

After this loads up mandrake_boot2.jpeg

it goes to the flat blue screen where there is nothing but the blue screen and remains there forever :o

try hitting ESC. it should show you at which stage of the boot process your system hangs. also you might take a look at the different terminals (alt+f1/f2/...). maybe you find more information there that you could post here.

oh... and some hardware detail would be nice, too. :)

Everything loads up perfectly in the Verbose Mode, but after it is loaded it goes to a blue screen where i tried ESC and ALT+1 etc...but helpless. All i can do in that blue screen is move my mouse...and that's it!

Edited by eur0kidu

oh, i guess that your system has some problems setting up a working gui. and as you are using a nvidia card, you might want to check the forum on installing nvidia drivers. there should be a lot of information in here.

what you can do to test if this is really the cause or your troubles is to boot your system in the failsafe mode. when you get to a command line, it will first ask you for the init. use init3. then at the command line, log into your system as root. then type

ls /var/log

this will list all files in the folder where system errors are reported. you can see the contents of the special files in there with the "cat" command. e.g. "cat /var/log/error-message-one.info". now check if there are some error messages and post any relevant stuff you find in there in this forum.

i hope we can sort this out although i am no genius with nvidia drivers (i am a noob in this respect). :P

anyway, good luck. :)

Edited by arctic

you have two video cards in your machine? bummer... maybe that is one reason.

one additional info: if you have a live-cd like knoppix or kanotix, does it boot up without problems? if yes, your problems might not be so dramatic and can be solved quickly. and it might help us with exploring your box a little bit more.

if you don't have a live-cd, i recommend to grab one. they are very useful.

just another thing that came into my mind: when you are running as root from the command line, run the command

XFdrake

this will launch the gui setup tool. you can check your settings there. maybe they were not stored properly.

i will go to bed now (have to work tomorrow :P). hope you can get further help from the other friendly forum members. or try the freenode irc channel (#musb).

good luck to you. and don't get frustrated. ;)

:beer:

:screwy: Hey, i just tried the XFdrake feature in the failsafe mode and i individually installed my onboard and nvidia card at a time, and tried to boot on each card individually with proper driver installed from XFdrake and BIOS setup...but same thing over and over!!!! :screwy::wall::evilmod::devil:

can you boot to cli?

i guess that he can. otherwise, how should he run XFdrake? ;)

eur0kidu, try to boot your system with only ONE graphic card installed (remove the spare one temporarily from your box), maybe you can set up your display with XFdrake properly then. i am still convinced that your gui-configuration gets irritated by running two cards.