mp3 player problem

bigjohn

I've got this Rio Carbon mp3 player, originally the device supported oggs and flacs, but apparently not now.

My install will see the device (I think I'm right in presuming that the system is seeing it as a USB mass storage device), and I can mount it. It appears that I can even drag/drop, but while apparently the windows based "Rio Music Manager" software will handle oggs and flacs, the actual device won't i.e. if I look in the /mnt/CARBON directory, I can see the ogg track I've tried to copy, the actual device says "no tracks"!

After surfing around to see what I get with "Rio Carbon + Linux", I suspect that it means that the damn device will only actually support mp3 and wma files.

So, although I've been happily ripping my CD's with the "Sound Juicer CD ripper", it seems that it will only rip in flac and ogg formats, so which is the best of the CD ripping apps that will rip in mp3 format ???

Or does someone know if I can make the Sound Juicer rip mp3's ???

regards

John

You'd need libmp3lame from PLF before ripping to MP3. And remember, using it in the U.S. is technically illegal.

I SO wish you were wrong, but that's another topic. As for legality, you are very safe, despite the technical illegality, as long as you are only using it for personal use. The only people that anyone would ever go after are those using it commercialy, but they should know better. The same with libdvdcss. It's also illegal, in the town I grew up in, to wear a mask in public, but you don't see anyone getting arrested on halloween. That sort of thing.

You'd need libmp3lame from PLF before ripping to MP3. And remember, using it in the U.S. is technically illegal.

Ah, well, it's a good thing I'm not in the US then, otherwise I'd have to go to the nearest police department :cheeky:

Anyway, I've just checked and I'm not getting anything listed with libmp3lame. I've got lame installed, but checking both install and remove rpmdrake, I can't see it.

It's not one of those packages that is only available on certain mirrors is it? (cos I do the logical thing and use the nearest one (Warwick University for the UK).

I've just put a CD in too see if I can get it ripped as mp3, with some of your suggestions (grip didn't want to encode it, some sort of error showed up).

But here goes, I'll post back.

regards

John

It looks like the device has died on me!

I even tried going to an aquaintance and installng the windows based software on his system, but even that doesn't "see" the device, all the "stuff" at Rios' site is irrelevant, I'm gonna take it back to the shop and get an exchange or money back. (That'll be the 3rd time!).

Annoying really, as they seem to get good reviews etc.

Ah well!

Erm, by the way, does anyone know of an mp3 player (preferably, not a hard drive device) that has linux support ???

regards

John

bigjohn: since MP3 encoding has legal issues, lame and co are in PLF. anorien doesn't mirror plf, so you'll need a different mirror. Just use easy URPMI, it has the info on how to set up PLF. http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

Yup! Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I've got mirrors set for both "PLF Free and PLF Non Free" (one is a dutch mirror and one french, - I think, but can't remember which way round they are). Hence I wondered if the libmp3lame is only available on specific mirrors (I can always change that using the easyurpmi facility - that's how I set the mirror sources anyway!)???

Oh, and thanks to iphitus for the suggestion about looking at the "Creative" mp3 player devices - The MuVo Micro N200 @ 1GB looks like it should do the job (heh! afterall, it's for my partner Clare, so the only thing thats relevant too me is that I can do the rips/encodes under linux as I now don't have any windows in my PC).

regards

John

hum, that's weird, mirrors are by definition mirrors, so they should have everything...

oh, I get it. They renamed it on me, sigh. It's liblame0, now.

Which I've got installed already.

So....

I've been to the shop, and ended up replacing the Rio Carbon with a Creative Zen "Touch" 20 GB model.

I'm planning to learn how to use the device, it's currently connected to Clares laptop and I'm ripping Marc Bolan and T.rex "Essential Collection" (arguably, showing my age _40_ next month :D ) and then I'm gonna start working on how to rip stuff under linux to see if it will drag/drop to the mp3 player.

I don't suppose it matters that I'm ripping/encoding at the highest bit rate to the device with windows, because the size of the HDD on the device means that I don't have to skimp on file sizes etc and logic "should" dictate that I would be able to rip/encode at the higher bit rates with linux apps as well, to get all of what Clare will want on the device (she gives me a list of which track from which album/CD).

As a side thing, I've been trying to set up SAMBA, so I suppose that if need be, when I've got that worked out and can "see" the laptop from the linux install, I'd have the option of ripping/encoding and then sharing the file(s) with the laptop if I experience any problems trying to get the tracks from linux directly to the mp3 player???

Ha!, my only problems are lack of knowledge about how to do "such things", being stupid and very, very impatient!

regards

John