NFS issues - unusable/malfunctioning

aRTee

Hi guys, I hope someone knows how to go about debugging my setup, I'm all out of ideas...

Here's the situation:

cablemodem -- server -- switch -- home net with several machines

(FYI, the server is connected to the cablemodem with 2 nics via a switch and has 2 ip addresses, but that's not really relevant)

I mount some partitions of the server onto my workstation, and until now I never had any issues, depending on the harddrive I'd get between 5 and 11MB/s over the network when copying files. Watching a movie or playing music on my workstation with the data residing on the server was never a problem.

Until now - if I try to open a movie or copy a file, I get to see the following transfer speeds (as per gkrellm): something around 5 or 600KB/s for one sec, then nothing, then for one sec around 100KB/s, then ... nothing. Even if I wait for a long time.

Note: I can get over 10MB/s if I connect via ftp. Connecting with ssh or vnc is also no problem at all. My network and nics are therefore fine.

I have tried to debug this, at some point after restarting some services (nfslock, nfs, shorewall, portmap, network) in some order on the server, and restarting netfs on my client/ws I did manage to get things to work fine - for copying one 600MB file over.

A few moments later the system went back to it's slow/broken behaviour...

I have not been able to get it to do the fast (well, normal) transfer via nfs anymore, even whilst trying restarting services in all the same ways, by now I have tried all orders twice or more.

Oh, I have also rebooted and such... no improvements either...

I have added

alias net-pf-10 off

to my modprobe.conf which shuts off ip-v6 but to no avail - still the same.

What can I say, other than: :help: