Freezes at booting

purefan

hello.

In my Mandrake 10.1 Community Release when it is booting it always stops after mounting the USB filesystem

here is a piece of what it displays:

hda: dma_intr:status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error}

hda:dma_intr:error=0x84 { DriverStatusERror Bad CRC }

Mount USB Filesystem  [OK]

and here it displays nothing and never does anything...

I CTRL+C and it steps forward but doesnt go anywhere...

what can I do??

• 5 months later...
Guest antoniocortes

:wall:

I am sorry I am not going to give any answer, but I have just seen the same problem after installing Mandriva 2006 in a AMD Athlon 64 with a SATA dirve (containing winXP) and a Seagate ST340016A ATA HD where I installed it.

When I boot linux from the Seagate (hda), it also stops with the same messages as above, what I think is due to a problem reading the hard drive.

Did you find the solution to the problem?

Have anyone else seeing this problem?

Is there any particular reason why you're using 10.1 Community? This was a release a bit like beta, and 10.1 Official is the proper release without all the bugs.

I'd recommend trying LE2005 (since the updates for 10.1 Official are more or less stopping any day now if not already), and see how you get on with that instead.

:wall:

I am sorry I am not going to give any answer, but I have just seen the same problem after installing Mandriva 2006 in a AMD Athlon 64 with a SATA dirve (containing winXP) and a Seagate ST340016A ATA HD where I installed it.

When I boot linux from the Seagate (hda), it also stops with the same messages as above, what I think is due to a problem reading the hard drive.

Did you find the solution to the problem?

Have anyone else seeing this problem?

Just out of interest, have you tried the 32bit version of Mandriva on your system? I've heard reports of people getting it to work better than the 64bit version on certain hardware.

Other than that, try some of the boot parameters:

linux followed by one or combination of:

acpi=off

noapic

nolapic

ide=nodma

eg:

linux noapic noapic ide=nodma

linux noapic

etc, etc.

Guest antoniocortes

I have tried the 32 bit version but it does not even install.

I have the suspicion that the problem is in the geometry of the HD, as the BIOS uses LBA to access it, but it seems that everything is OK until Linux kernel changes the access from BIOS to its own parameters, point at which it hangs.

:juggle: I will try with some of the switches you mentioned, but I will also try with another HD <8GB.

Thanks for the help.

Guest antoniocortes
I have a 20GB and 160GB HDD with LBA enabled, and they all work fine.  Check for an option in the BIOS to disable Plug and Play as well and see how you get on.

:banana:

PROBLEM FOUND and SOLVED.

The cause of the problem was that this HD supports ATA 33,66 & 100 Mhz.

The drive was set to work at 100.

The BIOS was set to 33, so there was no problem, as the drive works fine with slower speed when set to maximum, but when LINUX requests info about the drive's geometry, the drive returned the following data:

78165360 sectors (40020Mb) w/2048kiB cache CHS 65535/16/63 UDMA(100)

The last part UDMA(100) is indicating to Linux that it can work at a speed of 100 Mhz, so Linux set the controller to this speed, but the CABLE conecting the IDE controller to the drive was a 40 pin one, and to use higher speeds it needs an 80 pin cable.

I solved the problem changing the drive to work at ATA33 using one of the tools supplied by Seagate.

Thanks ianw1974 for your support

Antonio :drum: