how to auto start a script at startup [solved]

I am a fairly new linux convert, still having some basic troubles...

I have recently got my Belkin f5d7000 card working in mandrake 10.2, and have made a small script called 'wireless.sh' to configure things like essid, encryption key and route to use. I have to run this every time I boot up in order to get the wireless working. Is there a way to make this script run by itself on startup? I am using kde and saw a post somewhere here that said to put the file in home/user/.kde/Autostart - which I did, but nothing happened and I still have to start the script myself. I ticked the box in the properties part of the script (in Konqueror) to enable the file to be executable, and the permissions are set correctly I think... I need to be root to run the script in a terminal, so maybe this could be the problem? Any help would be wildly appreciated, I love linux for the way it can be configured to do what I want, but I lack the knowledge to do this stuff straight up.

once again, thanks

Crundle

Edited by crundle

The script has to be run as root. The stuff in the kde Autostart directory is started as an ordinary user. It's not hard to do though. Copy and paste your script into the bottom of /etc/rc.d/rc.local. rc.local runs with root privilege and executes after all the other init scripts run. You need to be root to edit the file so run:

$ kdesu kwrite /etc/rc.d/rc.local

Ener the root password when prompted and rc.local will come up in kwrite with root privileges.

thanks for the help pmpatrick! I have jsut entered the commands, but I am off to work now, and downloading something, so I will have to wait until tonight to reboot and see if it comes up (not worried about your information, just my typing!) Thanks for the help, its the community feeling that makes linux rock

crundle

:)

yep! worked a treat!

thanks for the help, it would have taken me forever to learn that myself. thanks especially for the rapid response to my question.

cheers,

crundle

:)

I ticked the box in the properties part of the script (in Konqueror) to enable the file to be executable, and the permissions are set correctly I think...  I need to be root to run the script in a terminal, so maybe this could be the problem?  Any help would be wildly appreciated, I love linux for the way it can be configured to do what I want, but I lack the knowledge to do this stuff straight up. 

once again, thanks

Crundle

in order for you to run the script as a regular user, try to ,as root#chmod a+x wireless.sh ....a = all, which means that all user can x= execute that script, but if the script contains shell commands that only root have access, though you can run the script but it will fail, well, as per pmpatrick, that should work