upgrading from Mandriva 10.1 to the latest

veeral

Experts :D , please help me upgrading my mandrake 10.1 community to mandrake latest and also please tell me what kde 3.4 is. I have kde 3.2. I want to intsall these upgrades because I am hoping that will somehow help my wireless problem which I keep posting in the laptop section but haven't got it solved yet. Please guide me how to get the rpms for the latest version and how to upgrade the kernel as well as KDE? Please overlook my ignorance. Thanks.

There are a number of ways you can upgrade:

1. Use CD/DVD media, boot from it and choose Upgrade.

2. Remove existing urpmi sources, and point to the 2005 sources (main, contrib, updates, plf-free, plf-nonfree).

The first option is probably the best if you don't have a fast internet connection. Mine is only 128Kbps, and is just about bearable to use the urpmi sources (if you don't mind a six hour wait to complete the upgrade!).

If you do the second option, su and supply root password then type "urpmi --auto-select --auto".

This will look through your existing setup, and download the updates for everything you've got installed at present.

Once you've finished, update your kernel to the latest, and also your kernel source too if you have this installed. Then check that udev is installed, and check LILO to make sure any devfs=mount is changed to devfs=nomount. If they don't exist, then it'll be OK for udev.

After installing udev, reboot the system and check for errors. If any, resolve. If not, remove devfsd and then check by rebooting to see if there are any errors. If there are, resolve or post here to find out more about the errors and resolution.

Reason why to install udev is because devfsd isn't supported in updated kernels. You'll need to run the updated kernels for the latest version anyway, so best to switch now. Udev is better anyhow IMHO.

KDE 3.4 is the latest version. If you add a urpmi source for thacs rpms you'll be able to install easily this way. You'll need to make sure you have all the sources though in addition to this (main, contrib, updates, plf-free, plf-nonfree) as they depend on these.

Edited by ianw1974

I can vouch for ianw's instructions - I have just upgraded from a DVD and the "udev" tip was invaluable.

See also this thread: https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=25525&hl=

How did you get on?