setting permissions for log in [solved]

Donald

I'm running Mandriva Limited Edition 2005.

I had a problem with not being able to log in as user (but could as root). I found a way to to put this right - by giving user read and write permissions for the file /dev/null. My problem now is that when I log off and reboot my computer the permissions have gone back to their default and user cannot login. So every time I have to log in as root, change the permissions and then log in a new session as user.

How can I change the permissions permanently so they stay as user read and write for /dev/null?

Don

Ironically, 'installing Mandrake' was probably the right topic for this, spiny :)

I'm about 90% sure you updated from a pre-10.1 MDK to 10.1 or 2005, right? If so, it's likely you weren't correctly switched from devfs to udev. Edit the file /etc/lilo.conf and change any instance of 'devfs=mount' to 'devfs=nomount'. Save. Run 'lilo' as root. Ensure the udev package is installed and the udev service is enabled. Reboot.

Many thanks. This solved the problem. I installed 2005 over 10.1 but as a fresh install. I'musing the SuSE grub boot loader (also have SuSE 9.1 on the computer) and had simply kept the Mandrake parameters in Grub that I had been using for 10.1.

Now I just have to work out how to get the KDM log in screen to work properly - but I'll start a new thread for that.

Don