Cds not mounting [solved]

Aonghus

Hi,

I've just installed Mandriva LE 2005 and can't access my CD drives.

The /dev/cdrom etc. files exist, and are linked to hdc and hdd (I have a dvd-rom master and cd-rw slave), and the /mnt/cdrom and /mnt/cdrom2 folders are there too of course, but apart from a little whirring, inserting a CD does nothing.

I know my drives are supported, because they worked fine under 10.1 CE.

Can anyone tell me why this might be? I'm not too experienced with Linux, so I'm quite at a loss.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Aonghus

P.S. I can post any other info that may be relevant - not really sure what to check at the moment.

Edited by Aonghus

Further to the above:

I just tried installing a package from MCC with the installation DVD in and it worked. The entry in the media sources refers to /mnt/cdrom/.

So, I tried adding the DVD of contribs that I have too, but it couldn't read from it.

It seems that urpmi can access the cd somehow...

I still can't browse the CDs at all - /mnt/cdrom and /mnt/cdrom2 are both empty when I have CDs in (both from konquerer and the command lne, if that's relevant).

In my /dev directory I have the following:

hdc

hdd

cdrom -> hdd

cdrom0 -> hdc

cdrom1 -> hdd

cdrw0 -> hdd

This is proving most frustrating, especially since I discovered that urpmi could get at the drive but I can't! :wall:

Any ideas on how to solve this would be thoroughly appreciated,

regards,

Aonghus

Thanks for the suggestion adamw - always seems to be you who answers my queries!

The gnome-volume-properties options are set to mount CDs already.

Oddly, the drives seem to have magically started working again - at first I couldn't get a CD of any kind working, but now I can browse the contents of video DVDs and CDs, and Audio CDs are functioning nicely too. I've just been installing linmodem drivers, so I don't see how this happened. Perhaps it was the rebooting.....

The only remaining difficulty is not being able to load my Contribs DVD - but its probably just a bad burn or something. Works ok in windows on my other comp, but can't copy all of the contents, so some things must be corrupted. I suppose I'll try to copy what I can and use it from the harddrive.

Thanks for your help Adamw - I didn't know about the gnome-volume-properties thing.

Aside from that - apologies to everyone for creating a largely pointless thread...I suppose I ought to try a little harder before running for help :oops:

Aonghus

Edited by Aonghus