LTSP?

Guest ebiancarelli

Guest ebiancarelli

LTSP = Linux Terminal Server Project @ Linux Terminal Server Project

I am considering setting this up at home to provide PCs for my family. This appeals to me because 1) the PC equipment is cheaper than buying a full-on desktop and 2) the maintenance seems less with this type of thin client setup.

So, is anyone out there running this at home or work? What has been your experience with it? Good or bad?

How many beers should I have on hand when I'm setting this up?? :beer:

I think we have a couple of people on the Cooker list who use it. There's also our own terminal server thingy, draketermserv I think it's called (might be draktermserv , you get the idea). I'm not sure I'd go with thin clients for a small-scale setup since you can buy reasonable PCs so darn cheap these days (don't Dell have one for $399 or something equally ridiculous?), but if you want to go for it, I think it works fine once it's properly setup.

I use LTSP a lot, on debian and mandrake. At home, I've 3 thin clients (fanless, pxe boot). I've recently installed a primary school with 18 thin clients (and/or recycled PCs) around a debian+ltsp server. Works like a charm. For this number of clients, a 100/1000 switch and server network board is recommended.

Really easy to setup (except network sound and USB on clients)