Installation issues with 10.1

Guest RFCat

Guest RFCat

:help:

I installed 10.1 tonight after 4 days and many attempts. Two issues

1/. brand new motherboard needed an upgrade

2/. 10.1 can't handle Promise IDE or SATA arrays. I got it going removing the IDE drives and disabling the Promise function in BIOS. Works with SI SATA though.

Question arrives, how then do I get to use my 80gb striped array or even as two seperate 80 gb drives?

The registration wizard is a poorly designed and the tester should be shot.

What is a valid mail address, does it mean e-mail, it most certainly isn't formatted for a physical mail address. All the error is "invalid mail address". What does login mean, e-mail address, how do you determine that, login is certainly not e-mail address.

What Xterm to use, having read this forum I am confused KDE appears to full of bugs for the 64 bit version.

Currently downloading and installing the latest packages.

So far this much touted user friendly implementation leaves a lot to be desired. Every version of Redhat I have installed starting at v5.1 has worked with less fuss than this installation.

Why haven't I stuck with Redhat, because it is supposed to be corporation based and Mandrake is supposedly little user/beginner friendly. Also in the past the machines have been raided for parts or to bail people out of problems.

I am still very much a beginner in the Linux environment, I do have basic Unix experience as a network builder and system installer (12 years ago).

:wall:

With regards to the registration wizard, I never use it. I just cancel when I load the system from scratch.

I've not had any problems whatsoever with 10.0, 10.1 on loading. 10.2 or LE2005 is working on my system fine too, albeit the driver for the video I have a minor issue with but nothing major! Which version are you running? Community? Official? Community did have a lot of problems apparently, so run Official.

I have found that if you have anything newer that has been released after the version you have, upgrading the kernel tends to assist in resolving these issues.

My main process is:

1. Install 10.x from CD/DVD.

2. Cancel that registration screen (not needed).

3. Install all updates - Normal/Bug Fixes/Security.

I then find that the system is fine. I have ran kernel 2.6-11-6 on 10.0 and 10.1 without any problems.

As a note, I did originally download Red Hat 9.x (their last release before going commercial), and I couldn't even boot the thing to install on my machine. Mandrake/Mandriva worked every single time.

In relation to your raid stripe set, how is this managed? Did you do it with software in Windows, or through the BIOS? Again, updating the kernel will help, and if you can perhaps download LE2005 and install this.

Edited by ianw1974

All the 64-bit releases up to 2005 were substantially less good than their 32-bit equivalents, IMHO. You should have a rather better experience with 2005 if you want to go 64-bit native. If you want to stick with 10.1, I'd really recommend you use the 32-bit version.