KDE Hosed

hugerobot

Not sure what is going on...

I downloaded the crossover plugin demo, installed it... it locked up to the point where I needed to reboot, and now that I rebooted, KDE won't start. It goes to x, and the little watch mouse icon comes on the screen, but the KDE boot splash never comes up. I let it load over lunch, and came back to the same screen.

I usually start at runlevel 5... I changed to 3 so I could try to see what was going on.. but no use.

Are there any logs or anything I can see? I cant believe this is related to the crossover plugin, but maybe it's related to some new service that is starting, and hanging? Wine related maybe?

Regardless of the problem or the fix, this is absurd. No desktop OS should be this fickle... I could see if I was messing with system files or something... but I was installing a freaking browser plugin, and my machine is hosed?

So, can anyone help?

Actually, yeah, you beat me to it. I wanted to update my post to say that I can start kde as root.

I did delete .kde and .kderc from my home directory... which didn't fix the problem.

I didn't do the .DCOP ones... I didn't know about them.

I do wish I would have moved them or renamed them, rather than deleting them. :( I will definitely do that with this round of files/directories.

I'll try it and let you know!