Display Problems

Is there a way to make it when i close the lid on my laptop the laptop doesnt go to sleep ? I have a Dell C610 PIII 1gig with 40gig hard drive and mandrake 10.1 ?

Also is there a app that i can use to watch the battery life ? I like leaving my laptop on and closing the lid. Any one help ?

For checking the battery life: it depends on your DE - Gnome has a taskbar applet and so does KDE. There are other apps to check it with it, but those applets suffice for me.

There might be a way to stop it from sleeping, unfortunately I don't know what it is :P

What kind of video does the laptop have? If it is NVidia then in /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Section "Device"

Identifier "device1"

VendorName "nVidia Corporation"

BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce2 DDR (generic)"

Driver "nvidia"

Option "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "DFP, TV"

Option "DPMS" (remove this to remove power control)

Option "NvAGP" "3"

EndSection

Is there a way to make it when i close the lid on my laptop the laptop doesnt go to sleep ? I have a Dell C610 PIII 1gig with 40gig hard drive and mandrake 10.1 ?

Also is there a app that i can use to watch the battery life ? I like leaving my laptop on and closing the lid. Any one help ?

Most likely, you need to disable "standby on Lid closed" (or something similar to that) in BIOS.

If you use KDE, battery charge can be monitored using klaptop in KDE. Another great app is gkrellm.

Most likely, you need to disable "standby on Lid closed" (or something similar to that) in BIOS.

There is nothing in the bios to turn off lid and stuff it is software driven. I'm a dell DCSE certified tech : O ) * just thought i would add that for any one that needs help wtih dell stuff * Also it is a radeon 16mb video card. with screen res of 1024 x 768..

There is nothing in the bios to turn off lid and stuff it is software driven. I'm a dell DCSE certified tech : O ) * just thought i would add that for any one that needs help wtih dell stuff *  Also it is a radeon 16mb video card. with screen res of 1024 x 768..

My thinkpad does have such setting in BIOS, and I disabled it so that the OS could take control. If you use ACPI for power manangement, then you need to check ACPI events - it could be that one of the ACPI events is to put the laptop to standby when the lid is being closed. Sorry, don't know much about acpi as I don't use it.