X64 or X32

Phantom

When looking around on the FTP sites there is a 10.2 DVD version available in 32bit but not in 64 bit.

Is there any reason I should go for the 32bit? I mean, better hardware support, more software, etc...

I have a 64bit lappy but as with XP64, I have the feeling the full support for apps and drivers isn't ready yet.

Not just that, but in reality 64-bit systems run a little slower than their 32-bit counterparts. (i.e. a 32-bit OS is faster on the same hardware) The only exception is running 32-bit binaries on 64-bit operating systems, because they need to be run through an emulator... so they are slower than 32-bit bin's on a 32-bit OS. I'd stick with 32-bit if I were you (I have the FX-51 CPU and I run 32-bit only now). In most cases, the only difference on a linux system is how the drivers/binaries were compiled... not so much one supporting more hardware than the other. There isn't much of a disadvantage to running in 64-bit except a tiny speed hit (in linux!! windows is practically still beta, and slower and crappier I might add; I tried it extensively myself to see)

The advantage to have a 64-bit system is the ability to access much more RAM (up to 4 terabytes I believe, rather than 2 gigs...) Great for huge servers, no real bonus to a home user. Go with 32-bit!

Edited by static

actually, 64-bit math and addressing can potentially give speed benefits, it's not just about higher memory addressing. You're correct that the benefits are often overstated, though.

2005 is the first MDV release I would really recommend using the 64-bit version of; reports from people who've tried it are mostly positive. I'd try the 64-bit version and only go for the 32-bit if you have trouble with the 64-bit.