Missing libraries

Phantom

Hi all,

I just got back to try out Linux and installed Mandrake 2005 LE X64 on my laptop, wel actually, I did this already 3 times over the last 2 days :P

Everytime it seems that some kind of library is missing, now it's asking me for a C compiler "GCC" to be able to install VMWare5 Workstation.

When I try to install a cd burning soft it complains that libcxxxx is missing, same thing goes for the ATI drivers, and some other stuff.

Where can I find all those ? They don't seem to be on the CD.

I'm only a few steps away from formating my windows partition as I wont need it anymore once I got those few apps installed.

This time I installed Mandrake also with everything except for the Server component a part from SAMBA, so I thought it would include everything.

If you're trying to build things from source you need to install the libXXXX-devel package, not all of these fit on the CDs so you'll need urpmi sources for the full MDV package sets, which you can set up using easy URPMI: http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ . To get GCC, install the package gcc , but if you picked the 'development' option during install you should've got it already...how many CDs did you install from?

how many CDs did you install from?

That's the point, refering to my topic higher up X32 or X64, in the X32 DVD edition seems to be more software then in the X64 CD edition.

I seem to have also some trouble installing other software that complains about non available X64 libraries.

I'll download the X32 DVD edition tonight and get it installed tommorow night or over the long weekend.

ah, if you got the x86-64 _download_ edition, it's only one CD and doesn't have a lot of stuff. You should be able to fill it out by using easy URPMI to set up urpmi media and installing whatever you need that way. I don't really know who decided we were going to have a one CD x86-64 download edition, but it seems a bit odd to me...

ah, if you got the x86-64 _download_ edition, it's only one CD and doesn't have a lot of stuff. You should be able to fill it out by using easy URPMI to set up urpmi media and installing whatever you need that way. I don't really know who decided we were going to have a one CD x86-64 download edition, but it seems a bit odd to me...

I tried during 2H last night, using URPMI, adding more and more download sources, but nothing, no way to get those damned kernel sources downloaded, neither the GCC compiler, or any other needed library.

For the moment I'm finishing the download of the 32bit DVD version.

For the good news, after a clean install I've been able to get my wifi working with Ndiswrapper, works like a charm :banana:

Like mentioned in a another post, don't mess with the config file, just install the driver with ndiswrapper, fire up the KDE wifi tool and set it to DHCP, voila, 1min later you're online.