10.2 upgrade won't boot, just freezes

Guest Grobbendonk

Guest Grobbendonk

Hi,

I've been using Mandrake 10.1 for a while now, but went for the 10.2 update and broke my machine. The install went through without any problems at all. The machine is an IBM desktop, but there's nothing unusual about it.

Three symptoms

1) If I boot into the default Linux, it gets as far as "Detected IBM BIOS, enabling APM" and then freezes dead. Not even a caps-lock light will respond, and I have to power off/on. I've added noapm to the end of the boot string, but to no avail.

2) If I boot into linux-failsafe, it goes fine until it hits the "Loading ALSA" stage, at which point it again freezes dead.

3) If I boot into the old kernel, it finishes the boot, and gets to the command line, but the network won't work (some scio error) and X can't find any screens. But the data is all ok, and the command line seems to be working ok.

I've tried every command line I know of - noapm, nousb, ide-nodma etc, unplugged all the peripherals, and so on, but it just hangs at the same point, every time.

Any ideas anyone?

Guest Grobbendonk
It's apm=off , not noapm.

Thanks, I'll try that when I get home.

I got a bit further yesterday though - I've edited lilo back to the core and I now find a more simple pattern - old kernel works (with a couple of issues in X), new kernel freezes, irrespective of flags.

But I'll let you know about the apm=off

Guest Grobbendonk
Why don't you do a clean install? // It'll work then

Did that (spare hard drive, same machine) - same problem. It's definitely the new kernel disagreeing with APM on this machine!

But Adamw's correction to my noapm has fixed it, so I'm working again

p.s. When I tried to run the old 2.6.8 kernel on the new 10.2 it stopped at ALSA

I got that too - it's not actually ALSA, it's the daemon that tries to load next - "sound". I've removed it from my startup so it's not halting any more. But if I start it manually, it also hangs. Got to try it on the new kernel yet