Modem driver

Arne

I have winmodem on Thinkpad 600 (Mwave/ACP modem) (Mwave™ 3780i DSP)and have heard that IBM have made a binary driver for mandrake 10.1 but I not been able to locate it and the link on the web-site I read it do not work since the IBM web-site have been changed.

Anyone have a tip where I can find it?

All installation efforts I have maid without this driver fails

I also have a 3Com Robotics 56K Fax-modem, Product # 455630-01 and serial number 238SI3KCOPSY. With serial connection. This maybe is a better and simpler solution

Can anyone tell me if this hard-modem can be installed and how.

I am a new to linux and would like to use the graphic environment to install it and please use step-by-step how to install.

I appreciate every tip/help/advice

i cant answer about your winmodem, but regarding the USR external modem, installing the default kernel of mandrake, i think can automatically detect it when you attach it to serial. you can check it when trying kppp (similar to DUN in windows) or thru hardDrake.

note: attching to com1 = ttyS0 in linux

com2 = ttyS1

Edited by aioshin

i cant answer about your winmodem, but regarding the USR external modem, installing the default kernel of mandrake, i think can automatically detect it when you attach it to serial. you can check it when trying kppp (similar to DUN in windows) or thru har harddrake

Thanks for your advise

No luck and autodetecting in Linux far far from the quality in Windows.

Earlier I try to install the winmodem and therefore I deleted that connection.

Then I rebooted with external modem connected and in harddrake it turned up as ppp0 after I set Autodetect modem.

Then I entered maually the login to my IP provider and linux tried to log on.

Then I got the following message:

"The system doesn't seem to be connected to the internet. Try to reconfigure your connection. I tried several times but same message

I have only tried ttyS0 since my laptop have only on serial port. Should I try the other tty ports?

I dont know what kppp or DUN in windows is, never used it.

Is it neccesary or easier to reinstall 10.1 with the external modem connected?

As you understand Linux is only a few days old on my computer and I don't know how to use the Konsole. Do you know where I can obtain user knowledge in using Konsole

Anyone have any tip

:help::help:

Do you know where I can obtain user knowledge in using Konsole

If you installed the documentation, you should find it in the menu system: in 10.0 it's under Other Applications - Documentation - Mandrakelinux documentation in English. Select the Command Line Manual. If it's not installed, you can also find it at www1.mandrivalinux.com/en/fdoc.php3. :)