updated xorg and it turned off graphical login

ffrr

I just updated xorg (and Open Office) last night using MCC (I am using a recently upgraded system, 10.1 to 2005LE). Seemed to go OK, but when I started the machine this morning, it left me at a text login prompt.

Easy enough to fix, I just logged in and typed 'startx', then went to MCC and reselected graphical login (yes it was unchecked by the update last night).

It is something that would really snooker a beginner though. Not nice to do that to users....

[moved from Installing Mandrake by spinynorman]

yes, but beginners usually do not do upgrades from a cli. once they do how to do it, they will probably know the source of the trouble and can eliminate it. but i admit that this scenario should never happen on any linux system.

You are right.

I have experienced that problem loads of time over these past years and I don't worry about it anymore but I do agree that when I was more of a newbie it used to throw me. Definitely not a nice experience for a newbie.

It certainly would be nice if someone could fix the bug but I guess the solution is more complicated than the end result would warrant effort at the moment.

Cheers. John

Easy enough to fix, I just logged in and typed 'startx', then went to MCC and reselected graphical login (yes it was unchecked by the update last night).

To fix that you don't even need to log into X. Just login as root, type "mcc", go to 'Display" -> "Options" and voila!

Thus there is no need for the newbie to know "startx" command.

Besides, in Linux intuition helps a lot. When this happened to me a year ago (about april 2004 I went 100% Linux, was a real newbie then) I just typed "kde" and everything was fine from there.

Alas, I agree with you that such a scare-factor glitch has to be fixed.

Edited by solarian