newbie questions

NitramBelac

Solarian, I agree. I don't know how the other routine makes for better house keeping.

I think the so called "convention" has been around so long that people seem to think it is the only appropiate way without ever really questioning it. In earlier days, partitioning was a tricky and difficult exercise so the /mnt routine most likely had a very valid purpose to try and ease things.

I click on home, then the up icon twice and there are all my partitions, including Exchange, ALLMINE, ALLMUSIC, ALLPICTURES and zstore all lined up with every other partition and I can dive straight in to any of them directly. Can't get any easier than that and that is what I call good housekeeping.

As you rightly say, it saves one extra step doing it our way.

This "convention" bit is like Gnome and its rabid support for double click. Sure you can set up single click in the file browser but you have no choice to set single click anywhere else in Gnome. The double click did have a real purpose in earlier days but today it is redundant and only continued due to "convention".

KDE on the otherhand give you simple and direct access to set single or double click universally. In Gnome you do double the finger work to achieve the same result that could be done with single clicks. Is that good housekeeping ??? Not in my book it isn't.

Cheers. John.

I click on home, then the up icon twice and there are all my partitions, including Exchange, ALLMINE, ALLMUSIC, ALLPICTURES and zstore all lined up with every other partition and I can dive straight in to any of them directly.  Can't get any easier than that and that is what I call good housekeeping.

Yes it can. If you link them to your home directory (no matter where you mount them) you don't need those two clicks on the up icon !

but hey guys, feel free to manage your systems any way you want then.