Installed 2005LE - can't get sound - RealPlayer

ffrr

Had Realplayer working fine under 10.1. Upgraded to 10.2 (2005LE) and now it won't produce any sound (video is fine, but silent).

Someone rumoured it uses OSS sound. I have tested OSS and Alsa sound using KDE configuration >sound, and both work fine. Other apps, like mplayer and amarok work fine too.

I played around with drivers using draksound. It was/is using the snd-intel8x0 driver. Tried to switch to switch to the OSS i810_audio driver but got the following...

Doing alsactl to store mixer settings... [ OK ]

Shutting down ALSA sound driver (version 1.0.8): FATAL: Module snd-pcm-oss is in use.

FATAL: Module snd-mixer-oss is in use.

[ OK ]

ERROR: Module snd-intel8x0 is in use

Switching back gives....

ERROR: Module i810_audio does not exist in /proc/modules

ALSA driver (version 1.0.8) is already running.

Somehow, whilst doing this and testing in KDE config >Sound it started working, but it stopped after a reboot, and I can't work the magic a second time.

Tried Helix player and it doesn't work either. Deleted realplayerrc and recreated it, but still no sound.

Please help, this is soooo frustrating. :o

Edited by ffrr

Well, I got it to work by setting KDE to "auto-suspend" after 1 second (in the sound system section of the desktopp config tool) Apparently this tells KDE to give up exclusive control of the sound after a period of time that you specify. So if this makes it work, the conclusion must be that the default is for KDE to retain exclusive control, and hence not let RealPlayer use it?

...any downside to doing this?