Kernel upgrade and kernel source issue

How would I install it manually if I don't urpmi the kernel in?

I thought I would urpmi the source and kernel at the same time. Is that OK?

I installed the kernel-2.6.8.1.24mdk-1-1mdk and also the kernel-source-2.6.8.1-24.

System rebooted fine, and I removed the old kernel of kernel-2.6.8.1-12.

I had to reinstall the drivers for my Intel video card, but this wasn't a major deal, and worked OK. I kind of expected I would have to, as they were installed on the old kernel.

The only thing I did notice was that when I reboot the system, the blue mandrake shut-down screen has a yellow border about half an inch wide around the extents of the screen!

The way my system boots at the moment is that it doesn't load Xorg straightaway. So I login at prompt, and then startx, which then loads KDE for me.

Any ideas as to the yellow border?

The only thing I did notice was that when I reboot the system, the blue mandrake shut-down screen has a yellow border about half an inch wide around the extents of the screen!

The way my system boots at the moment is that it doesn't load Xorg straightaway.  So I login at prompt, and then startx, which then loads KDE for me.

Any ideas as to the yellow border?

I haven't encountered the yellow border myself, but I know others have. I haven't followed the discussion on that problem, so can't give you any input on it. I advice you search the forums.

If you had a faster net connection, I'd just advice you to reinstall your xorg first (after the new kernel install), but I know you have 128, so you'd probably prefer some other solution.