Receiving DHCP address from ISP

red

I am about to do the big drag and drop right off the edge the bench to the trash can with this system .

Now that thats off my chest, here is the problem. I finally got MNF working as expected. Time restrictions, site blocking, everything. Worked GREAT for about 15 days, ever since the first of the year, I have had much difficulty. The system will not stay connected for more than about 6 hours without a reboot see some other posts of mine. Thinking I may have had a bad WAN side NIC, I replaced that last night and everything seemed to be much better, until today that is. Now, even the reboot does not fix the issue. The internal side never fails even when we cannot reach the internet, which is why i thought maybe the WAN NIC went south.

Here is the setup.

P233 with, 64MB ram, 3GB drive, internal NIC is a 3com, external is Realtek 8139.

The internal NIC is 192.168.0.1 and also is the DHCP server

WAN NIC is set up static, however I do not get a static IP from MY ISP. I have however used teh same address for about a year and a half with no issues using my D-Link router. I guess this could be the issue in a nutshell. It is possible the ISP will not allow us to just kind of "hijack" an IP any longer. I have not been able to see if this is an issue because I cannot get the system to obtain an IP dynamically, I am assuming the fireewall is blocking the needed ports as well.

Question is...does any of this make sense?? How do I config the firewall to allow it to get an IP addy from the ISP?

I am also open to any other suggestions.

Thank You

RED

Ok here is what I found out....The ISP, based on some testing, is definitley stopping users from snagging a static IP address. I reformatted this machine with Windows and obtained an IP from the ISP just fine. I did this to rule out hardware issues. Surfing was just fine, my attempts to surf if I used that same IP address or any other address staticly configured failed.

Anyway..on to the rest of the show.

After again installing MNF, every time I boot, I get this message "./ifup: localdomain... command not found Determining IP information....no link...Check cable?... FAILED" or very similar anyway. Once the system is booted and logged at the console. ifconfig does not display any information for the NIC (eth1). I run dhcpcd and I immediately get an IP address and ifconfig displays the expected IP information.

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

This was sooo much easier when I staticly set the IP, but low and behold leave it to our ISP to have things running the way THEY intend for them to.

Oh!! almost for got the secret penguin password...DO BE DO BE DO

Thanks,

RED

I feel like I am taliking to myself here and expecting an answer...oh god...I am answering myself.

Well, after formatting with 3 different Linux OSs, I find that MNF is th eonly one that cannto detect the netwlrk cable bing connected and obtain an IP address for this NIC

IPCOP, Smoothwall, and Redhat 7 are all able to get an IP address from the DHCP server.

MNF insists there is no cable present. Again simply running "dhcpcd eth1" gets an address. The problem seems to be in the ifup file.

I see some code in this file

if check_link_down ${DEVICE}; then

echo $failed; no link present. Check cable?

This is the error message I am seeing, so it seems the cable is not detected.

Where is this coming from? how do I fix it?

Thanks again

RED

DO BE DO BE DO